1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Monday Rant

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by beng, Nov 17, 2003.

1. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me.

I spent twelve hours painting my house yesterday and feel the need to let off a little steam. Hopefully you guys'll understand. Browsing through the home cinema mags in WHsmiths this week, I noticed a "what hi fi" special on televisions.

Great I thought. Super. Perfect timing. My beloved Hitachi C43 has just developed a intermittent convergence fault. It's not under warranty and has probably got about two years of lamp life left anyway. Maybe I'll replace it. Yeah, that's what I'll do. I need it really. It'll be good for my karma. So I browse the mag. Hang on. Have I missed something? Not one mention of RPTV. In the whole mag. A mag devoted ENTIRELY to televisions. Personally, I like my RPTV. I know a lot of the pluses and minuses, just like you other well informed guys and gals. I did my research three years ago but I've kept in touch with the market. RPTV is still here. You can still walk into a shop and order one can't you? Of course you can. After all, RPTV fits nice and snugly into the gap between 36 inch CRTV and plasma doesn't it? Not quite super slim and hang-on-th-wallable as plasma and yet larger than the CRTV. I'd call that market share. But not a mention in What TV and Video. Not one single article.

So does the market feel that once both ends of the market have worked out how to offer decently made and affordable plasmas to the general populace RPTV will be dead on it's arse? Because, quite frankly, every plasma I've ever seen plugged into a digital broadcasting source looks terrible. Admittedly, I haven't seen them all. I am willing to believe that brilliant plasmas exist. However, I'm also willing to bet that they aren't the ones currently hovering around the 2k mark. On the other hand, I can pick up a 51wh6 from Toshiba for around £1500. Perfectly good for most digital broadcasting (except I imagine from a bit of digital stuff going on around fast moving objects which seem to effect everything over thirty two inches in size).

So why no coverage? If I was Tosh, I'd be telling people about how good my new RPTV was. I'd be saying "look mr Punter, I know you want a decent plasma but don't waste your money on these ****ty 2k models. Pick up my cool new set instead and spend the money you save on a decent set of speakers".

Okay, rant over.

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    totally agree.. but then I realise that RPTV is not for everyone.. if the viewing angles weren't so evident when viewing in Currys then I suspect more would be sold... people just don't realise how good they are when in your own front room...

I was thinking of moving to Plasma, but then was so disappointed, there are 1 or 2 models that just about look half decent, but in all honesty, they still can't match the Tosh RPTV's for dynamic range and PQ, they do have better focus of course, but this is a minor point, and I was amazed at how many Plasma's had diabolically shocking artefacts and the usual poor blacks, solaristation, etc...

Mind you it would be interesting to put the best 50" plasma up against my Tosh 51WH36... I am sure it may do better then I'd admit.. we all like to think our TV's are the dogs danglies, its only when you have them side by side that you get a true comparison..