stupid laws

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there must be several but this one really gets my goat. Apparently if you prune some branches from a neighbours tree that overhang intofoyur garden you are meant to BY LAW return them:rolleyes: Most people fo course dont because it just seems plain wrong. One just take them down the dump.YOU CAN BE SUED. APPARENTLY!One of my neighbours borrowed my longhandled loppers to remove some branches, next thing she ( or they as they are a cohabiting pair of ladies) receive a letter from the landlady of the house next door where the intruding branches came from, threatening legal action. They then have to settle out of court to the tune of £300 not wishing to fight it . Then just to rub salt in a gaping wound the landlady has the tree removed anyway. My own next door neighbour called it a "businesss decision"Do some people only ever think what they can get out of a situation?do they have no concept of good neighbourly relations or of just being plain decent?:mad:

I chainsawed a cherry tree to the stump in my moms neighbours garden while they were on holiday. I left all the brash and logs in nice neat piles at the bottom of their garden.:devil:

It was blocking all the light out and they only mentioned they might like it gone in passing. They never even offered to pay for the petrol in the saw.:eek: :devil:

Daerve said:
I chainsawed a cherry tree to the stump in my moms neighbours garden while they were on holiday. I left all the brash and logs in nice neat piles at the bottom of their garden.:devil:

It was blocking all the light out and they only mentioned they might like it gone in passing. They never even offered to pay for the petrol in the saw.:eek: :devil:

well done :clap:

my neighbours got a young tree going thats already blocking a lot of sun out of our garden.

Drives me nuts to think how stupid are they to plant a tree right next to the fence.

PeteB_2000 said:
well done :clap:

my neighbours got a young tree going thats already blocking a lot of sun out of our garden.

Drives me nuts to think how stupid are they to plant a tree right next to the fence.

Same here situation here. :mad: Silly tall tree. It is a nuisance, and it is only a few years-old, so I do not feel we would be damaging the environment by cutting it down.

You don't need to cut the thing down, just cut a 1cm strip of bark out right around the tree at a height where it can't be noticed... The tree will die of it's own accord in the next few months, and they'll think it just got bird-flu or something! :thumbsup:

Another thing I found silly was this that I was told by the local council when I tried to complain about a neighbour's cats that were using my garden as a toilet.
As cats are considered a wild animal, the council has no power to do anything about them crapping all over someone else’s garden, if it were a dog then they could do something. In addition to this, if a child (or anyone) walks onto my property (invited or uninvited) and accidentally touches the cat poo on my garden and is infected by it, I could be liable. It is my responsibility to clean up and dispose of properly someone else’s pet mess :mad:

Yes there is a sycamore growing next door that I'd like to do that to (dead of night perhaps:devil: ). People dont trealise how big and fast those damned things grow. Not so much a question of light but of possible subsidnce and being able to sell the house that I worry about. In fact when we bought this place we had to get a treesurgeon to remove a horse chestnut that was growing in a neighbouring house before we could get a mortgage.

JohnG said:
Another thing I found silly was this that I was told by the local council when I tried to complain about a neighbour's cats that were using my garden as a toilet.
As cats are considered a wild animal, the council has no power to do anything about them crapping all over someone else’s garden, if it were a dog then they could do something. In addition to this, if a child (or anyone) walks onto my property (invited or uninvited) and accidentally touches the cat poo on my garden and is infected by it, I could be liable. It is my responsibility to clean up and dispose of properly someone else’s pet mess :mad:

not much oyu can do about them as they are a law unto themselves. They poo where they want to_Our garden has that perpetual aroma:eek: associated with them. sdaly my wife loves them so we have two of our own. Worse thing is one of them sprays round the house:eek: :eek: Drives me mental, but can I do anything about it? Can I heck!They are more important than I am:thumbsdow

Is it not true that if a intruder trespasses on you property and injures their self's though your negligence they can sue you, more so if you say leave the door open as it is classed as an invitation:eek:

Worked with a guy who forgot something in his car and went back and a toerag was using a bar to break in. The owner said what you think you are doing and got hit in the face with the bar, But quick as a flash caught his arm and put it up his back to restrain him but broke the crooks arm in the process. The crook tried to sue him for damages.

Garrett said:
Is it not true that if a intruder trespasses on you property and injures their self’s though your negligence they can sue you, more so if you say leave the door open as it is classed as an invitation:eek:

QUOTE]

I think that's correct - an example I have heard of (might be an urban myth though!) - is that if you clear your path of snow, but someone slips on any residual slush/ice that you have left they may have a claim against you, but if you don't clear your path they haven't. It's the action of attempting to clear your path that makes you liable.

I have used this excuse for years with the missus not to bother clearing the path when we get our occasinal dumpings, so please don't anyone contradict it!

OldAndSenile said:
You don't need to cut the thing down, just cut a 1cm strip of bark out right around the tree at a height where it can't be noticed... The tree will die of it's own accord in the next few months, and they'll think it just got bird-flu or something! :thumbsup:

hehe ive also read something about hot water and salt

JohnG said:

i have the same problem with the same neighbours, I have a dog and he is never let into the garden on his own incase he craps as I have 3 children (4, 2 and 13 weeks) and the garden is a safe place for them to play, my blood boils when i find :censored: ing cat :censored: it in there (see im getting :mad: now), it also
comes into our house if we leave windows open or the garage, problem is Im an animal lover so I couldnt hurt it, as its the owners fault fancy buying a ccat then just letting in wander the streets it ONLY comes back for feeding other than that its out on its own WTF is that all about then.

Rant over.................and relax

Pete:D

PeteB_2000 said:
hehe ive also read something about hot water and salt

Please tell me more.
I also heard that a ring of copper nails might do the trick.
My problem is also sycamore trees - on land next door to me owned by the local council.
Their arborologist (tree man) claims they have to adhere to some British Standard "guidelines" - but since they are only guidelines this isn't actually true. The guidelines do not recommend removal or pruning for those particular trees.
Furthermore they were quick to send a threatening letter to me when a (quite small) tree in my front garden apparently partially obscured a no-cycling sign on the pavement outside ; they could have sent a more diplomatic letter initially rather than threatening to chop it themselves and sue me for the cost of the work.
(I removed that tree myself - took about 20 minutes total).
So, knowing how local officialdom works, a stealth way of seeing to the demise of the trees next door to me at the rear seems to be the only practical solution.

Chris Muriel

PeteB_2000 said:
fault fancy buying a ccat then just letting in wander the streets it ONLY comes back for feeding other than that its out on its own WTF is that all about then.

Erm, its what cats do....

PeteB_2000 said:
so why have one?

I don't have one, i have 3.

Sometimes i only see them when its dinner time, sometimes they'll be in all day. They're independant creatures, that do what they want. (Just like humans, except they don't do the chav thing, cause wars or cause global warming)

la gran siete said:
yep you cant just incarecerate them

Our cat was only 3 and one night she went out never to return. Result.:smashin:

Just wish the labrador and terrier would learn how to open the front door now.:devil:

Daerve said:
Our cat was only 3 and one night she went out never to return. Result.:smashin:

I don't blame her.

mjn said:
I don't blame her.

Must be the PB10 sub.:devil:

Or the fact that the dogs wanted to play with her every time they saw her and cats being cats, she didn't really like being nose poked by a mental lab.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom