Stupid Labelling On Foods (Humourous Thread)

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Partly to appease Woodywizz, who is claiming that there's no funny threads in General Chat at the moment, but also because I thought this was an interesting and humourous observation, this thread has been created.

We all know that foods nowadays, have labelling on them, explaining their contents and what is considered good to eat, okay to eat, or something that should only be eaten occasionally. And there is also the other system of food labelling, that says if you eat X amount of a specific food item, that it will contain X amount of salt, X amount of sugar, and X amount of fat, or whatever other ingredients that might harm you.

There's just one minor problem...

I bought a small bag of Grated Parmesan Cheese, containing 50g of the stuff. On the front, it said that if I were to eat 50g of it, I'd be consuming X amount of salt, X amount of fat, and X amount of whatever else it said. My question is this:

What kind of stupid moronic individual, would genuinely consider eating one entire packet of Parmesan Cheese in one sitting?! :eek: :confused: :rotfl:

Has anyone else noted any kinds of dumb food labelling, like this?

Pooch

On a related point, why is it that almost everything may contain traces of nuts these days? Have these large food producers only got one chopping board? :)

Hi,

I like the one that says my can of tuna may contain fish! I should bloody well hope it does! :rotfl: I don't expect to find anything other than fishy tuna inside the can.

Pooch

On a related point, why is it that almost everything may contain traces of nuts these days?
isn't that how Oxfam and other charity shops label their underpants?

Cadburys fruit and nut.

"may contain nuts". Get away.:rolleyes:

Saw an egg box at my mums once that said either "may contain egg" or "contains egg" :D

Well i'll be....

Skippy

isn't that how Oxfam and other charity shops label their underpants?
Do they really sell second hand underwear in charity shops? :eek:

No forgetting the classic "Contains Peanuts" on a jar of Waitrose Crunchy Peanut Butter (96% Peanuts is listed in ingredients).

Has a bloody great big "Peanut Butter" label in the front of the Jar.

Why?

You get the same with Snickers - "Product may contain nuts" - REALLY!!!!:eek:

I like the advert on TV for Dr Oatker Authentic Italian Pizza - Made in Germany.:rotfl::rotfl:

My missus bought a Heinz All-Day Breakfast in a can thing once, I read the ingredients and I'm sure one of them was "immatation bacon slice". :p:p:p

We have an orange juice over here in norn iron, Dale Farm that has in bold writing on the front "No added colorings or preservatives, just 100% orange juice" or something to that effect, check round the back on the ingredients list and it says includes colorings and preservatives!!!??? i mean ***, i know the Irish have a rep for doing some dumb things, but this takes the biscuit.

Afternoon

Sorry - its not food but it does relate to labelling. Probably an urban myth but 'apparently' thousands of deoderant sticks had to be removed from sale years ago as the instructions on the packaging were 'Remove top and push up bottom' :eek:

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

You get the same with Snickers - "Product may contain nuts" - REALLY!!!!:eek:

Actually, the peanut is a nut only in the culinary sense, it's actually a member of the Legume family and therefore is not botanically a nut! (thanks QI).

Yes, I am great fun on a nightout......:lesson:

Back on the subject of nuts in products - do you not think it would be more stupid if products that may contain traces of nuts say 'may contain nuts' but products that contain ACTUAL nuts didn't?? Yes it is bleeding obvious that a pack of salted peanuts contains trace of nuts but if everything else has to say that why shouldn't an actual packet of nuts etc?

I once bought a pack of non alcoholic lager and and on the back of the bottles it said please drink responsivly. I ignored it obviously and drank ALL four bottles the same night.

Once on the bottom of the packaging of some sort of pudding (can't remember exactly what) it said "Don't turn upside down".

Now you tell me ?!!!

Came across a packet of Quorn or some other similar meat subsitute which had the warning on the bottom:

"This product is packed in an enivronment where nuts are handled."

Think there might be a serious health and safety issue there.....
Also not food related, but my Krooklock in my car, has a label that reminds you to "remove before driving away".......that'll be why i crashed then.....

Yes it is bleeding obvious that a pack of salted peanuts contains trace of nuts but if everything else has to say that why shouldn't an actual packet of nuts etc?
Because as you suggest, it is bleeding obvious that nuts contain nuts. In fact the very reason that nuts are called nuts is in order that most people will realise this :)

It does make sense for non-nut products that may not be expected to contain nuts though, considering how many people are allergic to them - sometimes with a very unpleasant reaction I understand.

But I still don't see how traces of nuts seem to get into every nook and cranny of the food industry. It seems there is room for tightened procedures in the nut handling department.

I once bought a pack of non alcoholic lager and and on the back of the bottles it said please drink responsivly. I ignored it obviously and drank ALL four bottles the same night.
You reckless binge sipper :)

in response to what?? :D

But I still don't see how traces of nuts seem to get into every nook and cranny of the food industry. It seems there is room for tightened procedures in the nut handling department.

It's probably to do with additives that maybe come from nuts and may cause the allergic reaction?

The nut thing: It's not that the product may actually come into direct contact with nuts, it is that they cannot be arsed to ensure every trace has been removed from the production area, that the people making the packaging haven't had nuts for lunch, etc etc etc... It's basically a 'cover my arse' statement. ie, we don't know for 100% certain it doesn't, so we'll say it might.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom