1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Gamecube connection type question!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Supernosh, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have a gamecube and want to but one of these so I can link it to my projector:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=76&products_id=1468

The questiona I have are:

1. Is this the right cable (my PJ has component inputs)

2. How do I go from this lead into the PJ? I already have a component lead plugged into the PJ from my DVD player and the cabinet where the Gamecube (and dvd player) will be is about 10M from the PJ.

So I guess what I am asking is there some kind of switch type box that will take the two component inputs and output one (without quality loss!) or is there some other solution I havent thought of!!

Thanks!

2. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that's the jobbie - I have one of them.

To connect up your DVD & Gamecube via component you can use a video switch box. I have one and have my Xbox, GC & DVD player all hooked up to use progressive scan via component with no visible quality loss. I'll try & find that switch box...hold on.

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are a star thanks!!

Can I ask a couple of questions??

What is the picture like? Is it actually worth doing? The idea sound great just not sure what the reality is like??

Also the only box I could see on that site was this product code:

AV600

Is that the thing you have?

Many thanks!

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I'm not sure how much better component is, but if you are looking to get progressive scan then component is the only option. If you can get prog scan then the switcher is definitely worth the investment. If not, then I'm not sure, sorry.

A couple of notes: 1) UK Cube doesn't output prog scan: you'll only get it if yours is a US Cube. 2) If you get the component cable, make sure you keep your Cube's old s-vid cable, cos you'll still need that to carry the audio.

Finally, use the link above - does it point to a product called "SIMA SVS14 4 WAY S-VIDEO SWITCHBOX"? That's the one you need.

Best of luck...

6. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I am being ignorant but if this is an S-Video switch box then how does it do component?

So much to learn.....................................

Cheers!

7. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of people have queried this, and I don't understand the technicalities of it, but it does. This one was recommended to me buy a guy who knew what he was on about, and I found he was right. I think it's something to do with it supporting 50ohms, and component cables are just 3 phono cables that are 50 ohms. Or something like that. I've probably got all that the wrong way round - I really don't understand all that stuff.

Put it this way, when I start up Metroid Prime it detects the component input and says "do you want to activate progressive scan". When I say yes, the Nintendo suddenly crispens up remarkably, so it is using progressive scan, and it is sending component through the switch box.

I've tried the component cable straight into my TV, and I've tried it through the switch box, and I can't see any difference at all.

8. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just to interject there Willy: apparently - I'm still waiting for my component cable to arrive, so I haven't verified this personally, but a lot of forum members confirm it - the UK cube CAN output prog. scan, provided you're using a game that supports it - the only ones that do are US and Japan releases, like Metroid Prime, Zelda, F-Zero to name 3, so the Freeloader is a must - and if you have the component cable.

9. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I never knew that. I've never owned a PAL Cube so I can't check for myself...

10. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a freeloader?

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A disk that lets you play US games on a Pal Gamecube. Or vice versa.

Edit - US or Japanese.

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  13. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Would you say the projector image will be reasonable using a PAL Gamecube with PAL games?

Just trying to decide if it is really worth doing?

14. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if you're not going to be using progressive scan, you might be better off connecting via s-video, since it should be cheaper. The component picture will be fine (prob a little better as I understand it), it just costs a little more.

In short, if you want to go for the component cable then just do it. It should be fine and the picture will be good. You can use the video switch box I recommended if you want to connect the DVD & GC at the same time.

Hope this helps. Any more q's, just ask.

15. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help!

What is the cheapest way to connect it up then?

I do not necessarily need to have the cube and DVD connected up at the same time.

How can I connect using s-video? As far as I can tell the cube doesnt have a s-video port on it?

16. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest way is whatever is shipped with the Cube...provided your PJ has the right connectors. I thought the Cube shipped with an s-vid cable. I got mine 2nd hand so that may be wrong. What connections do you have on your PJ?

For consoles in general I'd usually go for RGB scart as first choice, but I use progressive scan for Xbox and GC, so connect both via component. That's not an issue for you, so you just need to know that component is supposed to be slightly better than RGB scart, but it can be a bit more expensive. Unless you're going down the prog scan route most people reckon it's more economical to get an RGB scart lead.

17. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PJ will do s-video and component.

There was only the basic av lead with the cube. Have had a look and my only comment with the s-video lead and the component lead is that they will not be long enough to reach the PJ.

It looks like I would need either that switch box you mentioned (with the cable that starts to get a bit expensive!) or some kind of female-female conector so I can join the cable from the cube to the existing cables to the PJ. (hope that makes sense!?)

18. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it sounds like you need a cable of some sort. The problem with component is you're going to need the GC component lead, the switch box, and then another component lead to connect the box to your PJ, which as you say, will get expensive. Component cables can cost a fortune!

Err, no idea how to extend your Cube cable. Looks like you need someone with a bit more technical knowledge than me! Good luck with it though...

19. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    A PAL cube cannot output S-video at all, unfortunately, so I'd say that component is really the way forward in this case.

20. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about RGB scart? How come the PAL Cube doesn't do s-vid? That seems very strange.

21. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    RGB is fine. If I remember correctly, Nintendo had to remove the ability to output S-vid from the cube in order to get RGB through the analogue output. That's why it's so complicated to get RGB through an import cube.

22. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all oyur help guys!!

I have a solution!

Forgot that my new Pioneer VSX 2011 will do video switching as well so I can put 2 c component inputs with one out and can even put my s-video into it from my Sky box!!

Sweeet!

23. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, glad you found a solution.