1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid E85 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by docb, Mar 14, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wanted to check that my E85 is faulty or if I am missing something obvious.

I set my new, shiny, all singing all dancing E85 up last night ready for a night of unbridled pleasure watching recording editing playing.

All was going well, power cable plugged in, batteries in the remote, component leads to plasma, power turned on, set up feature came on for tuning stations etc..........THEN

I pushed the open/close button and nothing. No noise and certainly no casette wizzing out of the machine ready to take a DVD. Nothing I tried made the thing work. Nothing in the faults in the back of the manual.

So what is the problem, faulty machine or faulty operator?

Thanks

Doc

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    casette ? my E85 doesn't have a casette..

Just to check. you did press the button on the front of the recorder to right of the 'drawer' ? ?

3. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I say "casette" it is because I dont know the true technical term, I guess it is a drawer, and yes it is was the button on the right of the drawer.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    Are there any "Transit screws" needing to be removed before operating?.....check the installation manual.
    If not unplug it from the mains supply wait a few mins and plug it in and try again.

5. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is "open" or similiar indicated at front panel? In that case, seems to have a problem with the drawer. If not, that button doesn't work. Did you try to open it by the remote?

6. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    didnt try the remote, couldnt see a button on it for opening the drawer, although after the button on the front of the machine didnt work, i was quite gutted and decided to leave until tonight for a further investigation.

I will check for grub screws, it didnt mention any in the manual, but you never know.

Thanks for the replies.

Doc

7. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I don't get any LED icndicators lighting up when the drawer opens.
    Ther is no button on my remote that open the drawer (at least none that I have found yet) - is there one on yours ?
    As for the original question I take it the LED display is lit, that you can get into the onscreen menus etc and record to hard etc ?

If its powered up and the button don't open it then it seems like its busted (to me).

8. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    panasonic dont have eject buttons on their remotes for some unknown reason. Sounds like a faulty machine, take it back for a replacement.

9. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I feared as much.

Thanks for all the replies

Doc

10. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I like the no open button on the remote thing.
    My box is behind a swinging glas door built into the tv stand. if the door is closed and someone presses open on the remote there is a grinding and graunching and a rapid lift of rear end off chair and dive across room to telly.

besides if your arms are long enough to reach the open drawer and change the disk from your seat then ther are long enough to push the open button <G>

11. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    true, but some of us are lazy and like having it open up while we walk over to the unit :D

12. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But at least you don't have to close it. Just hit play on the remote and the tray closes, the DVD loads and then starts playing. At least that works on the E75.

13. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't mean about any LED, I thought the front display says "open" or "disc" etc.
    Usually most of CD and DVD players/recorders have an open/close button on their remote although I've always wondered what is their use? Now, I must admit I always press that button on a remote when I want to change a disc so the drawer waits for me opened (just like Eternaldark said before) :D
    Yes, the Tosh has one on remote.

14. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you push the 'open/close' button, does the display say 'open' ?, does the button give a positive 'click' feel? or feels spongy with no stop point?
    Due to lack of detail, hard to say what the problem is, and don't bother looking for transit screws as there are none, more info pls

15. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

More info.
    Display doesnt say open, and there is no positive click feel. I had a little play again last night, and the unit wont record to the HDD either, no buttons on the front panel actually do anything, and none of them are lit up.

The display on the front of the unit shows "NO DISC" and nothing changes that until I turn the unit off.

Hopefully this helps. I have today spoken to AV sales, (where the unit was purchased from) and they are going to send it off to panasonic to be repaired.

I have gone over the AV sales 30 day money back time limit and therefore cant get my money back. This doesnt seem a great big problem until you realise that AV sales are selling the e85 at £90 cheaper than the price I bought it at. :( Gutted is an understatement.

So I have a unit that is quite probably faulty, and because it has taken me too long to test it, i cant get my money back. My own stupid fault I know.

16. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am fairly certain that you are entitled to a refund/replacement. Go to www.oft.gov.uk for information concerning your rights as a buyer.

17. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The rights are that you have a "reasonable time frame" to test the equipment for faults before you are deemed to accept the goods, and therefore recind the right of refund.
    A further right of repair then kicks in.

As I have had it hanging round for 2 months while I have had some building work done, the "reasonable time frame" has elapsed. It is my own stupid fault, not testing immediately on receipt of the unit.

Anyone reading this please remember to test things on the back of this.

Thanks

Doc

18. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doc, I think that you have 6 months to be able to claim for a FREE replacement OR repair - Shoppers Rights-your quick guide (Page 15)

19. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ben
    Problem I have is the refund bit, would have been nice to get a refund and re-purchase at the lower (by £90!!) price.

repair or replacement will be OK.

20. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong, but are you pushing the buttons hard enough ?
    also, the buttons don't light up. :)

21. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the second time of testing I almost pushed the button through the front of the machine I was that p***ed off.

Thanks for the help though.

Doc

22. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have undone the transit screw first!!.........................Only joking :)

23. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Docb - Under the Sale of Goods Act, the equipment should be "fit for the purpose it was bought for". This effectively means that the shop has to either offer you a replacement machine or repair it at no cost to you. Unfortunately, you can only demand your money back if they refuse to do either of these things.