Stupid collections, do you have any?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I collect adverts (just the paper stuff) for really mad things.

I quite like the ridiculous things on food packets/tins for 'Serving Suggestions'.

But I love the firms like the Bradford Exchange. Today's Is a gem...

k1cgsi.jpg

:)

400-odd HD DVDs :facepalm:

Maybe off topic but my faith in the absurdity of the universe is frequently justified.

Hip flasks?

regrets.

Wow. When I saw that I thought it was 25.99 and I was ready to buy! £155.94 though. lol

Children

Board and card games, but they do get played now and again. Also collect ball markers from golf courses, but tend to lose them!

Screen prints.

Energy drinks!

We actually drink the contents, discuss the smell, colour and taste.

Must have knocking on for 80 or so from all corners of the world.

Newspapers on momentous days ... started around the time of the first launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia
- includes most UK and US general elections, political scandals, assasinations, deaths of significant people ... essentially very big news stories. Embarrasingly much of the 80s portion is the Daily Express, the daily family paper (my folks scratch their heads over why they ever bought and read that rag).

Has tailed off in recent years with the downturn in print media - I stopped regularly buying a daily/Sunday ages ago. The most recent part of the collection is the 2010 election and coalition formation (actually it's not that, just remembered it's the final edition of the NOTW). Doesn't take up much space in my huge loft. Also had a great 40th birthday present of The Times from the day I was born.

EDIT ...
Also collect hotel key cards - started that on my first US business trip a dozen years ago. Just keep them in a drawer.

Last edited:
I was thinking only today what I should do with my giant collection of unwatched HD-DVDs...

Bought a Western Digital WD TV Live streamer...
WD TV Live Streaming Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

..and more recently a 2TB drive to go with it.
WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I've transferred all my DVDs to MKV format and a few as ISO (maybe about 200ish), slapped them on the hard drive. Brilliant, now catching up on lots of films I've got but never watched. Having a big library of films available from a remote control somehow makes a difference to having shelves full of disks.

Recommended.

:thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Not a loving collection as I don't display them or anything - just chuck them in a big jar.

But everytime I come across a different beer cap I remove it with as little damage as possible and keep it.

Have a collection of hundreds from UK and around the world.

Cheers,

Nigel

Biggles books, have about 140 of them and always on the lookout for more, if anyone has any they want rid of let me know :smashin:

Bought a Western Digital WD TV Live streamer...
WD TV Live Streaming Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

..and more recently a 2TB drive to go with it.
WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I've transferred all my DVDs to MKV format and a few as ISO (maybe about 200ish), slapped them on the hard drive. Brilliant, now catching up on lots of films I've got but never watched. Having a big library of films available from a remote control somehow makes a difference to having shelves full of disks.

Recommended.

:thumbsup:

I've got the WDTV Live Hub and it's the one of the best technology purchases I've ever made. I just can't face burning all my discs, even though I even have one of those LG combi HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives in my computer. Is there a particular piece of software you use that automates the whole process?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've got the WDTV Live Hub and it's the one of the best technology purchases I've ever made. I just can't face burning all my discs, even though I even have one of those LG combi HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives in my computer. Is there a particular piece of software you use that automates the whole process?

I use DVDFab...

DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Copy, DVD Ripper, Blu-ray Ripper Software. Copy DVD, DVDR, Blu-ray Disc to PSP, or iPad/iPhone/iPod. Copy Blu-ray to BD-R, MKV, or Hard Drive for both Windows and Mac.

In the main I tend to rip just the main movie and this strips away all the unwanted stuff (well for me unwanted stuff, adverts, out-takes, interviews blah, blah, blah). Makes the file size smaller and allows you to get to the film instantly without having go through all the preamble stuff.

DVDFab is pretty effortless and it *works*. I've just bunged in a DVD to rip every now and again whilst I'm doing something else. It's surprising how quickly you can work your way through them.

:)

I collect cologne, general and vintage/discontinued. About 120 bottles and counting. My Mrs thinks i'm nuts but I enjoy it, and there are certainly worse things I could be collecting out there...

Currently looking for Gucci Pour Homme 1 (2003), Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Prive if anyone has any stashed away!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom