1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stung by customs!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sonny, Nov 18, 2003.

1. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Today I received my copy of TTT from play but in so doing was charged £8 by customs over the £25 it cost me for the dvd.
    Despite my protestations that it was not made clear enough that this might happen, that I was a good customer, that it had never happened before, that other suppliers were not subject to customs, they would not recoup my loss and said it was a random charge. It might happen again, it might not.
    Has anyone else been similarly afflicted?
    Anyway I might order from them again, I might not.

2. boyler

boyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also ordred my copy of TTT (R1) from play but never got chargedby customs. I think you have been unlucky.

3. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you have to click a disclaimer on certain R1 purchases from Play, stating you are willing to pay any customs charges (just in case you get caught)? :blush:

I think Movietyme and CD-Wow refund any such costs, better to go the safe route from now on I would say.....
    Friend of mine got hit for £15 on a R1 Indy Boxset he ordered from Play last week
    :zonked:

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do you have to pay the dosh before you get the item or after ... do customs keep hold. i have the alien quad on its way from movietyme

5. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it can vary, probably better off asking someone who's ordered from them before.

At least you can claim the cost back from movietyme ;)

6. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading a long thread about this very subject and it was made clear that anything shipped from the states over the value of £18 (I seem to remember that also included any carraige) was liable to a customs charge......:mad:

I decided to order from DVDsoon as a member pointed out they always put the value of the dvd at £12.

So far I have only ordered finding nemo which was about £10 + £3.50 carraige, low and behold it stated £12 on the package.

I have just ordered Pirates of the Caribean again though the order only comes to about £15 which inludes carraige so it will be interesting to see if the value is stated as £12 again, if it is I may up the stakes and go for alien box set, if I cant find in cheaper else where (currently about £39)......:smashin:

7. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They state it as CAD$12 not GB£12.
    And they value them all at $12. My Indiana Jones boxset was $12, which I found funny because it came in a big enough box.
    Ah but in Ireland we very, very rarely get stung by customs on dvds and cds.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u read the small print u can claim back if u state its a gift, this covers goods upto £35.

Generally i believe they keep it at ur local post office depot or office and u go and pay for it then its all urs.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    i've never been stung by customs for anything. I'm getting to the point were i reckon i could import a $400 dvd changer, and not be charged any duty or customs, etc

10. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beats me why anyone would order a high value item from Play if they take this attitude, especially when you consider that CD-Wow will refund any charges (And IIRC they ship higher value items via an EU country to avoid this anyway), DVDSoon always state $12 per item and are VERY customs friendly, Movietyme will refund charges (But they ship from this country anyway so they simply aren't going to get any charges), DVD Pacific will - ahem - well they have good customer service, and if you think you might get charges, then drop them an e-mail immediately after ordering;) .
    Add to all this the fact that - apart from Movietyme which can vary - all these companies more often than not are cheaper for R1 than Play, and as I said - why on earth do people order high value items from Play? Perhaps they like paying more than necessary.

11. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never order any item over £18 from Play these days.

I second the previous posters endorsement of DVD Pacific.

Edit: I should point out that there is no customs problem with Region 2 items from Play, only with Region 1 items via PlayUSA.

12. Miles

Miles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hit once - Simpsons Series 3 from PLayUSA £8

Use mostly DVDSoon for boxsets etc as they use $12cad on everything!!

I'm sure it won't be long before they seriously get done for this. It must be fraud surely??

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im sure they have some sort of consideratrion of this and something that would allow them to get out of trouble. Besides, it is the UK customs it effects and they have zero power over a canadian company..... so i dont see there being anything will be able to be done about it! all the better for us!

In any case, it is very very rare for me to spend 18gbp on a dvd, so i would just buy individually and still have no problems.

ad

14. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good old Gordon Brown, not content with ripping us off over the last 6 years, is also looking at doing away with the £18.00 threshold for this very reason. W***er !

15. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think people would be happier about paying customs fees if the absurd £4.50 'Clearance Charge' was done away with, or at least heavily reduced. Earlier this year I was charged over £8 on each of 2 £24.99 sets from PlayUSA. Since then I have been determined to get around the customs charges, and have been successful so far.

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is the admin charges like Alan says, that are the problem, not the charge itself

ad

17. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...My TTT got through from play unscathed. Indy on the other hand hasn't arrived yet nor has X-files season 8 from cd-wow.

Hoping its not a bad sign! :)

Its the VAT I object to paying twice. Its not as if its sooooo much cheaper from abroad. In fact its not as if it was cheaper at all!

18. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Jelly,
    The package itself containing TTT arrived promptly as usual at my address, with no charge for collection etc, BUT there was a big label on it saying it had been stopped by customs and had an £8 fee placed upon it. I have not actally paid yet but I am assuming it will be on my next c/card statement.
    I am aggrieved however that play despite my good custom over last year would not entertain a refund.
    OK, they have a disclaimer, BUT if that disclaimer had said a charge is POSSIBLE on £18+ items I would not have ordered.
    In view of the fact that I have spent so much with them I think they could have waived it this time, or am I being unreasonable?

19. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Play give fair warning with the Disclaimer.
    You should simply not buy from them if you are unwilling/unhappy to pay Import Duty, it's a risk you take after all.

Maybe the whole reason they have moved their Region 1 DVD's to another site entirely shows they might be getting some heat from Customs for the amount of trade they do in Region 1 DVD's (they are so popular it must be a colossal amount). I dunno?

Definitely stick with one of the other e-tailers from now on is the best advice. :smashin:

20. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    the £8 fee is placed by the Post Office, not play, so how wil they deduct your cc?

Plus, Play, only display the customs warning, when you click on items over £18

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    I think it would have to be collected by the post man, if you got it through the letter box I think you have got away with it.

22. theraven

theraven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ok, suppose I have the film sent to my partner at the same address. Can I then claim any charge back as its a present?

Got stung once for a Buffy boxset now keep Play orders below 18.00

23. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    From DVD Soon? But their shipping is free...

As to claiming the DVD as a gift, customs will only allow this if the purchaser's address is different from that of the recipient. So the answer would seem to be order it and have it delivered to a friend.

24. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I thought that's what it did say? :confused:

The first time this customs thing came up with Play it was a total surprise and was on the release of the "Die Hard" R1 6 disc box. I contacted them and they said that it was an error and they would credit the amount to my account. Shortly after I tried to order something else and the person on the phone told me that I could possibly incur a customs charge, so I didn't order as I was able to get it from another UK supplier with no customs duty to pay. Shortly after that the pop-ups began appearing on the website.

I used to spend at least a couple of grand a year with Play, but since the customs thing started, it's just the isolated disc here and there. If they've had the same reaction from other customers, they must be losing a fortune.

25. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

From Play I have been hit twice, within a matter of 2 months. Again both with films that are over £18 or more than 1 film.
    Not that it will bother Play but I will order my dvd films and music from elsewhere. I will write a letter letting them know, just to say my feelings more than expecting any concern.

Phill

26. robjohn

robjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    whats all the fuss you know that anything over £18 is chargable. Stop moaning, play is well within its rights not to refund. Thats is why you hit the disclaimer, ITS A WARNING!

27. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Whats the fuss about?

Well Cdwow will pay your charges, movietyme avoid them as do DvdSoon and quite a few other companies, yes play are very good, but they should take notice of what the competition are doing

28. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is if you have standard delivery, But I read a thread saying that standard could take 3-4 weeks I oped for first Class wich is 5-10 days.

Finding nemo was the first dvd ordered off the net so maybe when I get a little more confident I will go for standard.

29. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What the hell are you on about Robjohn, The fuss to myself who is just average person not a smarta... who wouldnt have a clue about "you know that anything over £18 is chargable" > I just spend my extra money( alot to me) on DVD,s for myself and all the family and to be stung by that extra £8 and travel 6 mile and cue in a post office a pain in the arse. The first time I thought it was because I wasnt in. I dont read much into leaflets, just went all that way and paid.
    Yes I should of took notice of claim just not read much into it just trusting the company who I have spent a lot of money with.
    So get off your horse and ..
    Phill

30. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Free shipping with DVD Soon generally takes about a week (5 working days) to arrive. On (rare) occasions discs have taken up to two weeks to reach me - about 5% in my case, and one one occasion almost three weeks.