1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped By Stutter ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mjr600, Dec 27, 2003.

1. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an upgraded PC with a view to putting my DV onto DVD but found a problem. Its a Sony Digital 8 camera connected via firewire to a P4 2.5, 512meg, 9600pro, 120gig hd, Shuttle PC.

I've tried Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premier 6 and the TryOut version Premiere Pro. They all play the video back smoothly but when it comes to capture the video and sound 'stutters'. Thats the best way to desribe the problem.

The DMA is set correctly so I've ruled that out.

Ideas would be appreciated.

One last thing, is it feasible to burn to DVDR + or - direct from the camcorder, on the fly as it were no capture or editing.

If not can it be done on a standalone 'under the telly' DVD recorder ?

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is normal with playback while capturing for some reason.As long as the final recording is ok,that's fine.

A DVD recorder can record back in real time and can be edited from their easily and is more convenient than a PC.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You can capture direct to a DVD with Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 and a free download trial version can be found at www.ulead.com (which I'm useing while awaiting delivery from www.dabs.com). I haven't tried the direct to disk capture, so don't know how well it works, but the rest of the package is very easy to use and has given great results so far.

Mark.

4. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I've got a fairly similar setup, but I don't get stutter problems. What Operating system are you running? Do you have anything running in the background during capture? Are you dropping any frames?

K

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't say if you're dropping any frames at all? If not, there's nothing to worry about. The preview of the capture often looks poor. I always choose a very small window for this, & mute the sound to lessen the load on the processor/system.
    If you are dropping frames, are you capturing to a system disk, or a dedicated HDD for video?

6. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a thought - check your disk has got enough virtual memory set up... I had none on my F drive (used for video), and although it wasn't stutter it was a tiny bit jerky at times... Now I assigned some VM it's as smooth as silk

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of my pet hates.....people who start a thread, then don't make any reply as to whether advice that others have taken time to give works....or not! :nono: