Stumbling block for Panny E-55?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andykaz, Jan 6, 2005.

1. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am intrested in purchasing this machine, but seem to have found a stumbling block for it (unless someone can enlighten me):

Recording films to DVD-R seems fine, as it is unlikely to be important to insert chapters in specific places etc (to me anyway). You simply set the machine to FR mode, and input the length of the film plus a little bit to be on the safe side. No problems there

However, if i wanted to record a series of a program (eg the Simpsons), i would like to split recordings (due to the back to back nature of the episodes), and also to remove the adverts that are likely to proceede the episode itself. This of course, means that i would need to use DVD RAM discs. I never considered this to be a problem in itself, untill i recently looked and discovered just how expensive these are in comparison to DVD-RW :eek:
    £2 would appear to be the rock bottom price per disc. And thats ordering it direct, else you can be looking at around £5!!

Am i missing something here? Does the DVD-RW not offer all the functionality of RAM and yet is far cheaper?

I am aware that RAM is largely incompatable with other players, but this would not be of concern to selfish me!

Look forward to advice and recommendations

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RAM can work like a HDD live pause etc that -RW is not cabable of and editing is better on RAM. JVC M10 has DVD-r/-RW/RAM disc recording (but no RGB input)

3. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply!

I was under the impression that DVD-RW could now perform timeslip etc if the recorder was capable?

Thanks for the recommendation, i am trying to work out how important RGB is to me at the moment. After realising that my cable box was outputting from the VCR out and Not the RGB enabled TV one, i have noticed a considerable picture improvement!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends how advanced you want to go with it for Cable RGB input is ideal (preserve as much of the quality as possible)

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    DVD-RAM discs can generally be purchased in PC World (in 10 packs) for this price as well. You won't find RAM discs much cheaper than that anywhere - there construction and composition means they are more expensive to make - but in return they have greater reliability, longevity and duribility.

It depends on the machine - but I'm yet to see a DVD-RW machine that is as slick as a DVD-RAM one. Take the Sony machines for example: you can only 'timeslip' if you are using 2x speed media (and the machine recognises it as such) and if your not recording in HQ/HSP mode. Editting is slow, sluggish and unresponsive.

6. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, must have replied at the same time as i just posted my previous post!

Thanks for your reply, i was not aware of the sensitivity of DV-RW. Looks like the E-55 is a strong contender for my cash (wish i could stretch to the E-85 though)

8. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i can find the extra cash for the e85 then so can you. ive had it for two days. still havnt had an answer to my cableing query though!!!. the HDD is the way forward you wont look back
    cheers judy
    p.s. find some way to deserve it

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There are several fans who will go into long, boring and, frankly, irrelevant speaches about how utterly fantastic DVD-RW is and how it "can do everything RAM can". Whilst this is true in the technical sense it omits the real world differences of sluggish performance found on many DVD-RW machines. Even the Pioneer range lacks the immediate response times of the current crop of Pannys. :lesson:

The argument also omits the wide variety of quality differences in media types which cause problems in themselves (RAM comes from fewer sources all of which are major media producers - hence the media costs slightly more - but always works properly). :lesson:

It omits the fact that - through design of the machines as opposed to any 'problem' with the format - the DVD-RW machines are the poor relation to the RAM ones. :lesson:

And, most importantly, it omits the fact if you walk into a shop you can buy a RAM disc - which is always useful if you want to record something! The only DVD-RW I ever seem to see these days are the 'PC Line' cheapies - and they are not suitable for most modern DVD-RW players (even if recognised they will not allow timeslip!). :lesson:

End of rant! :smoke:

10. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your (as always) detailed reply :thumbsup:

Judy - will do my best to save a life or something today!

11. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the more i read the posts here the more i'm pleased I got the panny. Just read a post about sony only doing timeslip with 2x media and there arnt easy sources etc etc and people wasting 4x rw discs. ive bought 5 ram discs and with my hdd that should be enough for a long time to play with. and if i want to save smething for ever i can use -r which are cheap and plentiful.
    I sooo nearly bought a sony to go with my tv. :eek:

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Ditto. The more I play with my Sony GXD500 in day to day useage, the more I appreciate DVD-RAM and my Panasonic E95 ;)

13. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    I must agree, I do like the RAM format. I tend to use it mostly on my E55 and have only just realised over the last week that it can do time-slip as well :blush: Works a treat. I'm also using RAM with my E85, sometimes using it to test dubbing from the hard disk and other times I will dub certain material onto RAM in preference to -R as it feels more stable to me in use. When you really think about it, RAM discs are not so expensive as it might first appear, as they are going to last a hell of a lot longer than any VHS tape IMHO.