1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffing a Box!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by PGL, Jan 29, 2003.

1. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Shiva MkIII fitted into the enclosure but I'm wondering about stuffing the box. Enclosure is about 60L and I've lined it with with foam. Got some Dr Baileys long haired wool but not sure about how much to use or more worrying - how to keep it away from the amp and driver, bearing in mind its a downward firer. Any ideas on the above?

Also, not actually had a sub before so when my cable turns up and I give it the once over how will I know whether or not its actually any good? What sort of music/DVDs should I try and what should I be checking/listening for?

Sorry for what I'm sure some may find Noddy questions, but I know you offer help to beginners and the more experienced enthusiasts alike - such is the standard of the forum.

Thanks in Advance.

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You forgot to mention if it's a sealed or ported box.

Both types should have the inside walls covered with some dampening material. A ported box should not be stuffed. A sealed box can be stuffed, generally this would be about a pound of stuffing for a cubic foot (That's if i remember correctly).

But you dont have to stuff it at all, the theory goes that stuffing makes the box appear larger to the driver, but if your box is large enough to begin with, then there really may be no point.

Best bet is to try it both ways and see which you prefer.

Have a read here also:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

3. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. It's a sealed enclosure.

4. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. 64kym

64kym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve got a sealed shiva as well and am rapped with it .
    How did yours turn out ?

Cheers
    Stuart

6. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far so good. Really chuffed. Kept it simple to start with. Just used a 115W old BK amp I got given from a mate (Cost about 5 quid to replace a couple of caps/resistors). Got the 25mm MDF for about 6 quid and the Shiva from the German dealer for about £102.

Total including aluminium plate, bits and bobs was about £160!!

It performs a hell of a lot better than that!!

When this years OU is finished I'm gonna look into adding LRT cct and maybe a crossover, for the time being the Receiver handles it and I've just got an input level pot. on the sub.

:smashin:

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59