Stuff to go with Kef Q35.2 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Laubi02, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Laubi02

Laubi02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Hiya,

Im looking to set up a new surround 5.1 system for my new house and am looking at a budget kit with as good enough sound as possible. (basically aiming for £100-£200)

I found a local seller selling these Kef Q35.2 speakers (2 fronts only) and want £70. So was wondering if I get these, would I have to stick with similar standards in terms of rear speakers, centre and amp? As this would cost wuite a bit I'd imagine. Or could I get away with cheaper options for the rest?

because im really tempted just to buy a tannoy fx 5.1 system for about £90

2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Kef Q95 for centre and Q15 for rears should see you right and keep in budget :smashin:

I've seen Q35.2 go for less than £70 on ebay

3. Laubi02

Laubi02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    thanks, if I were to get those sets of speakers, I dont think I would have much room for an amp. Do i need a good one?

I have a Harman Kardon Avi 200 but definately doesnt have hdmi - and not sure about optical - which am I correct are the only ways to connect to blu rays and get good sounds?

thats why Im tempted by the tannoy fx 5.1 system for about £100 and get an amp hopefully less than £100.

I did dig these speakers out from the loft: JBL centre, JPW and some random sony front/rear ones (pics can be found here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-f...-5-1-speaker-system-advice-needed-please.html)

So not sure if I should just get an amp connect these up - as I have no idea what these speakers are (plus theyre quite big). I was hoping to get nice sleek floorstanding ones or little satelite ones

4. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Yeah that HK is a bit too old for what you need sadly.

If a tidy, compact system is a priority then I'd still put this bargain (which I linked in the other thread) at the top of the list Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

You get everything brand new with 3 X HDMI & 3D compatibility plus 2 optical ins for £180, yes the sub is passive rather than on-board powered but you get a proper receiver to power it so not much of a compromise.

You could always upgrade the speakers & sub later when space & funds allow.

Then ebay the old speakers to get a few £ back towards it, or plug them into the amp and see how they go.

5. Laubi02

Laubi02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  6. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    A choice between a Yamaha & an LG, Yamaha wins every time - the only benefit I can see is that the LG is a bit slimmer and the speakers look funky but the system runs at 3ohms so it won't have the power or ability to upgrade speakers like the Yamaha, you're kinda stuck with what you get. This is the problem with a lot of all-in-one systems.

The Bluray one is even worse as it doesn't have the option to add any other HDMI inputs for games consoles etc, just one to connect to the tv.

Of course it's up to you but I would recommend the one which gives you the most flexibility, connections, upgrade-ability, power and sound quality, which is the Yamaha.

Bluray players are cheap as chips these days Pioneer BDP140 Black | 3D Blu-ray Player | Richer Sounds

7. Laubi02

Laubi02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    jeez, didnt realise they were that cheap! not sure on pioneer but a player cant make that much difference in terms of picture quality can it?

Thanks so much, think thats settled it. I'll go for that when I get paid next. unless I see a cheaper better second hand option.

Now lets see what my other half's reaction will be when I bring these into the house....

8. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I love second hand, most of my gear is second hand, after a lot of searching, upgrading and being very patient I've built £2000 worth of Receiver & speakers for around £800.

9. iBurni

iBurni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm with you on that one, done pretty much the same and the satisfaction is great !!

10. Laubi02

Laubi02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    damn you guys, it took this long for me to make up my mind on getting that yamaha set! well, I may just put an ad up for anyone who could match or beat that yamaha deal until pay day