Stuff I wish I'd known as a teenage audiophile

moujik

Speakers age more gracefully than amps and some sources might become irrelevant :)

Vragtes

Standard Member
Related teenage story: when your step-father offers you his small collection of 60s and 70s vinyl, including Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, don't say, "naaa, no thanks" and put your CD walkman back on. It'll only go to a charity shop. 20 years from now, you'll pay £70 for that same vinyl on Discogs.

EDIT: you'll pay £700 on Discogs. Man, the difference a "0" can make ;)
Ha! I’m one of those old farts with a loft full (+/-1000) 60s and 70s vinyl. No longer have a turntable (used to have a superb Ariston turntable) So offered them to son in law. “Naa, no thanks“ was the response. 😀
With vinyl coming back into vogue, may just get them down and buy a new turntable. High end valve amp and great Tannoy speakers so should sound as good as they did.

FootHealer

Ha! I’m one of those old farts with a loft full (+/-1000) 60s and 70s vinyl. No longer have a turntable (used to have a superb Ariston turntable) So offered them to son in law. “Naa, no thanks“ was the response. 😀
With vinyl coming back into vogue, may just get them down and buy a new turntable. High end valve amp and great Tannoy speakers so should sound as good as they did.
Ha! You did the right thing. My stepfather gave all those LPs away...original pressings, Floyd, Hendrix, Stones, Cream. All in great condition, straight to a charity shop around the time downloads and streaming started coming in. My mind boggles at the price these would probably sell for now. Probably several grand. If I could go back in time, I would have jumped at the chance to say "yes". But foolish 17 year old me thought vinyl was for old men living in the past and DJs. How wrong I was :(

Why not get a turntable? If you already have the vinyl, it seems like a no-brainer :)

Last edited:

Vragtes

Standard Member
Ha! You did the right thing. My stepfather gave all those LPs away...original pressings, Floyd, Hendrix, Stones, Cream. All in great condition, straight to a charity shop around the time downloads and streaming started coming in. My mind boggles at the price these would probably sell for now. Probably several grand. If I could go back in time, I would have jumped at the chance to say "yes". But foolish 17 year old me thought vinyl was for old men living in the past and DJs. How wrong I was :(

Why not get a turntable? If you already have the vinyl, it seems like a no-brainer :)
One of the reasons I got rid of the turntable was, at that time, storage was limited. CDs came out and I rebuilt a collection of these. Now, with 2-3k CDs, getting down the vinyls will overwhelm the lounge. A divorce would be on the cards!😃
Selling the vinyls may be an option but, with so many, grading, packing, etc I’m not sure it’d be worth it. Can fully understand your stepfather going straight to the charity shop.

Call me Candy

One of the reasons I got rid of the turntable was, at that time, storage was limited. CDs came out and I rebuilt a collection of these. Now, with 2-3k CDs, getting down the vinyls will overwhelm the lounge. A divorce would be on the cards!😃
Selling the vinyls may be an option but, with so many, grading, packing, etc I’m not sure it’d be worth it. Can fully understand your stepfather going straight to the charity shop.
That's fair enough.
But if your amp has a built in phono stage you could buy a decent, reasonable priced
TT for your favourite albums. Then decide what to do with the rest, I bet you have some right belters in that loft of yours!
That's what I decided to do at first........
it's become an expensive hobby since then.😳
Ha! If I would have realised how much I would enjoy vinyl again, would have saved myself about £600 by just getting my present TT.
Something I wish I had known then!!!!🙄

Vragtes

Standard Member
Point taken. My valve amp does have a built in phono stage, so I could do as you suggest and get a reasonable TT, something like a Rega and simply play the vinyls I want to. Yes, there are some belters in my collection but of course this is subjective. As a young man (I’m 66 now) I went down the hifi ‘continual quest for improvement’ at huge expense. Now, I think, if only I‘d used that money for buying more music! 👍

jcr71

to be honest im glad i wasnt interested in high end audio as a teen. spent my money having fun instead. :thumbsup:

DrH

to be honest im glad i wasnt interested in high end audio as a teen. spent my money having fun instead. :thumbsup:
My experience as well, as a punk rocker HiFi was not really needed.
So many live gigs, 5 in a week was my best.

gvh

That the reason the sound turned nasty when turned up was caused by the amplifier being under powered and I needed to invent a time machine and fast forward 20 years and buy a hypex power amp....
All those fancy dacs and cables didn't make the sound any better.
(let's not discuss the Musical Fidelity X-10 valve thing that did nothing but sold for more than I paid for it)

Call me Candy

Absolutely.... as a headbanging teen & twenty something!
But not now. I have more disposable income & I want to be able to appreciate my music.
The curse of getting older..... still love gigs mind.

Peter Lanky

Much like the previous answer, it was a different time at a different age and fitness level. Manchester offered a host of live music in the 70s, for both well known and obscure bands, along with the required visit to UMIST on a Saturday night for the heavy rock disco.
Fast forward 45 years and none of it holds the same appeal, with the thought of trying to watch a band with hundreds of mobile phones being waved around in the field of view adding to the displeasure. A quality and relatively expensive system in the living room, with well managed cabling to avoid the 'recording studio' look, listened to accompanied by a cosy chair and a bottle of wine is the way to go now. I can't take 'it' with me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom