Study / Chill-Out Room System for Newbie?

ScotsPine

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm just looking for some advice on building a nice sound system with the right mix of retro vs current technology for my budget.....
It's going to be in my study/chill-out room/man-cave, so it's not a huge space.....

This is what I have so far....
B&O Beogram 4002
NAD PP3i Pre-Amp
Little Dot 3 Tube Headphone Amp
(all this plugged into a crappy stereo through the 'AUX')

This is what I'm thinking of.....
Denon DM39 CD Hi-Fi Unit (love the look of this and it gets great reviews)
Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers (also good reviews and not too expensive)
Linn LK100 or Marantz PM6005

I am thinking about buying the items above and was just wondering what people thought of this set-up?
I'm pondering over the amplifier....don't know whether to go for a 2nd hand Linn or a new Marantz, I like the look of the old Marantz Amps but they are well expensive now...(even compared with last year)....Looks like the Linn would be a good option or the new Marantz....I can't decide, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm thinking I probably should have went for a more mainstream turntable (something like the Pro-Ject Essential 2 but I fell in love with the B&O at the time!! I might change it in time....)

Anyway does anyone have any thoughts or advice they could give me?

Thanks.....

The Denon CM39 is an AMP. If you have that, then why do you need the Marantz PM6005?

If you like the B&O Beogram 4002 turntable, that's fine -

B&O Beogram 4002 - Google Search

So, let's start with this -

- BUDGET - roughly how much money do you have to spend?

- EQUIPMENT - by this I mean a list of equipment included in the budget. Something like this - CD Player + Stereo Amp + Speakers, or whatever your list is?

- FEATURES - is there anything you specifically need. Likely a PHONO input for the turntable ... as an example. Audio Streaming? Digital Inputs? Etc...?

- ROOM - Dimensions specifically. Given that you are looking at nice bookshelf speakers, room dimension are less of a concern, but it would help to know them.

From that we can focus on the equipment you need.

I'm concerned that you might be buying the Denon just to get the CD Player, then in addition buying the PM6005 to get the amp. That's probably not the best approach. So, again, answer the questions above, and we will work out the best possibilities within your working budget.

Steve/bluewizard

The Denon CM39 is an AMP. If you have that, then why do you need the Marantz PM6005?

- EQUIPMENT - by this I mean a list of equipment included in the budget. Something like this - CD Player + Stereo Amp + Speakers, or whatever your list is?

- FEATURES - is there anything you specifically need. Likely a PHONO input for the turntable ... as an example. Audio Streaming? Digital Inputs? Etc...?

- ROOM - Dimensions specifically. Given that you are looking at nice bookshelf speakers, room dimension are less of a concern, but it would help to know them.

I'm concerned that you might be buying the Denon just to get the CD Player, then in addition buying the PM6005 to get

I'm concerned that you might be buying the Denon just to get the CD Player, then in addition buying the PM6005 to get the amp. That's probably not the best approach. So, again, answer the questions above, and we will work out the best possibilities within your working budget.

Steve/bluewizard

the amp. That's probably not the best approach. So, again, answer the questions above, and we will work out the best possibilities within your working budget.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the reply....
Yeah, I thought the DM39 was part amp but I didn't know how much kudos it had in it's own right...that's why I was being safe adding the PM6005...

Budget - Probably about £600

Equipment - good CD player, love the look and size of the DM39 that's why I've pretty much nailed that on but didn't know if a separate amp would be better for connecting a turntable.
Speakers - obviously

I'd probably need a phono connection as I want to connect either the beogram or another turntable
I like the sound of being able to stream through it too but I'd probably just plug my iPhone into the USB connection on the DM39

Room dimensions - approx 3m x 3m

Thanks, hopefully you can advise if I'm on the right track or if I should consider other things?

The problem will be in connecting the DM39 to the Marantz Amp. That would require some type of output from the DM39 besides the speaker outputs.

Also, the Marantz is about £300, The Denon about £180, and the Monitor Audio about £250, that is about £730, just a bit over your stated budget.

Streaming is the most difficult aspect. I think the lowest cost method of streaming would be Bluetooth. I have most of your music on your Smart Phone or other Smart Device, the Bluetooth streaming is pretty cheap.

Project Bluetooth Box E - Superfi

QED Live uPlay Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Superfi

QED Live uPlay Plus Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Superfi

The next product is a new product on the market, but it has AM/FM, Computer Network Streaming, Digital Inputs, and a pretty fair amount of power -

Yamaha RN301 Networked Receiver - Superfi

This in an older version, but likely better Receiver with the same features -

Yamaha RN500 Networked Receiver - Superfi

A very short time ago, the Yamaha RN500 was about £450. The Yamaha RN500 does have a PHONO input, the Yamaha RN301 does NOT.

Stereo Receivers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

If you would rather have a straight amp and add Bluetooth to it, then consider -

Yamaha AS300, 60w/ch, PHONO, (no digital inputs) -

Yamaha AS300 Amplifier (Silver) - Superfi

Yamaha AS301, (NEW), 60w/ch, PHONO, Digital Inputs -

Yamaha AS301 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Marantz PM6005, 45w/ch, PHONO, Digital Inputs -

Marantz PM6005 Amplifier - Superfi

In CD Players, here are some choices -

Denon DCD520AE CD Player - Superfi

Yamaha CDS300 CD Player - Superfi

Denon DCD720AE CD Player - Superfi

Marantz CD6005 CD Player (Opened Box, Silver) - Superfi

Yamaha CDS700 CD Player - Superfi

And of course, speakers in the same price class as the Monitor Audio BX2 -

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 122 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Polk TSx220 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

In a all-in-one micro-system, the Marantz is probably the one to consider because it has pretty high power. But it is on the expensive side -

Marantz MCR610 Melody Media Player Mini System - Superfi

But because it is a very small amp, it doesn't have a PHONO input, though one could be added for about $50.

That should give you some a few things to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

Right,
So I see that the Denon DM39 doesn't have a dedicated PHONO port and I'm wondering how much sound quality I'd be sacrificing by running it through my NAD 3PPi pre-amp to connect to the DM39 from my turntable?

Also does anyone know how the sound quality of my current B&O Beogram 4002 compares with the likes of a Pro-Ject Essential 2 turntable?

I like what was suggested earlier about the dedicated CD player but I see even the best one suggested has same Kbps rating as the DM39.....and just on the price, I can get the DM39 & Monitor Audio Speakers in a bundle for £340....so, I think that is a pretty good deal but I just want to endure I'd still be getting the best from any turntable I connected to it without having a dedicated PHONO port.....?

I'd expect the Nad pre-amp to superior to the inbuilt phono stage of a budget amp.

As you say you want a mix on technologies, maybe have a look at the Marantz MCR610? Doesn't leave a great deal of your budget for speakers but maybe you could get a deal on a package. Make sure you audition though as speakers will make the greatest difference to the sound & only you know what you like.

Are you just using the one analogue source? I ask I I think it may be possible to use your headphone amp as a pre-amp for one source, nice valve stage and volume control.

That out to a pair of active speakers such as Adam A7X would make a very neat little system and should sound pretty dam good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom