1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio vs cinema vs music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dmurfet, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking around and I'm actually in the market for studio and music speakers for different things.

My question - or topic of conversation is this:

Every website I look at claim that their own product only presents the sound in an uncoloured way so surely at least two of them must be lying!

I can see how studio stuff is normally active say Mackie / Behringer, but then so is Meridian and I would classify them under music if you pushed me. From what I have seen M&K would claim they are cinema speakers.

So what is the difference in the way these sound? Or is it just that music spekers are covered in nicer veneer so they sit prettier on your living room?

:D

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm sure that others will add their views to this,but there are many speaker companies,and various systems that can be equally at home in either environment,and B&W amongst others spring to mind.

The requirements for studio systems may include high power handling and efficiency,but not always a flat or accurate response,although that's a debatable point.

For sure,a domestic version of any of these systems is usually finished nicely,and well presented,but there are often fewer other differences than you may think.

At the cheaper end of the studio market,there are as many poor speakers as there are in the domestic market,and there are at least as many different overall "sounds",in terms of balance and overall voicing.

It's also worth remembering that whilst 2 products may measure similarly,the sound balance may be very different,and even when demo'd in the same room,as room/speaker interactions can be difficult to predict and control.

3. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Try some Genelecs. ;)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Studio monitors tend to be more transparent whereas traditional hifi speakers tend to have a warmer feel to the sound.

Studios do use a lot of active speakers but both M&K and PMC produce professional passive speakers for studio use - I use passive M&K professional speakers myself and M&K's roots were originally in the music industry as I think that the first customer was Mr Steely Dan himself for his own studio.

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if studio stuff tends to be more transparent (I read less coloured) - then why don't we all do a Steely Dan too?

Are we just kidding ourselves when we say we want transparency? Is the real sound of music too much for us?

6. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having a look at the Mackie stuff since I already have one of their mixers in my office. And that is kinda where my thought process started.

They seem to charge great thargs of cash for small boxes with built in power stations. I guess I should buy a pair for my office and then sneak them upstairs for a listen when the wife's out!

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You do need to listen to them first to make sure that the sound appeals to you. "As used in studios" isn't quite the accolade that it would first seem as many studios like to master their music using coloured speakers which would be a closer match to what many use to reproduce the sound in their homes.

For many years the studio favourites were really awful Yamaha things that most audiophiles wouldn't give houseroom too.

8. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha P900 grand piano which I want to hook up to some active speakers through a Mackie DFX6 (I think) mixer.

Can anyone recommend some good active speakers for this instrument. The room (if it matters) is quite small say 8' by 9'. I'm assuming a sub would be overkill - I coudl always use my SF one anyhow. :suicide:

9. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry budget is under a grand.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thats certainly true,Ian,although one of Yamaha's offerings,which was widely used in studios and domestic settings,was the NS1000M,which is still very sought after and highly regarded as a domestic speaker.
    It was never one of my personal favourites,as I always found it to be somewhat forward,but there is no doubting the levels of detail and attack it can still produce.

The point about voicing the speakers to reflect the likely domestic sound is also very true,especially with respect to certain varities of pop.

Many people find the treble emphasis and forward nature of a number of studio sourced speakers to be just too wearing for long term domestic use....initially exciting,but tiring in the long term,and not relaxing to listen to.

11. gktk

gktk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Mackie 824's and the sound is incredible, nice flat response across the frequency range with a a very wide stereo image.

Price new i think are approx £1300 so not quite near your budget

12. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Actually they are bang on my budget!

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Mackie-HR824~ID~379.asp

I assume you don't find then tiring to listen to after a while then - how long have you had them?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It would seem that professional speakers whether passive or active are gaining in popularity for domestic applications and certainly amongst forum members Genelec seems to be the favourite with a couple of friends of mine having bought this brand in the last couple of months and both speaking very favourably about them.

Digital Village has a good reputation for deming a variety of pro speakers with several branches throughout the country and a website here but Pro Audio Kit is also worth looking at here as they have some very good prices on a range of pro gear.

I am very tempted with their PMC speakers myself.

14. gktk

gktk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had the 824's about 2/3 yrs and no not tiring at all ... based on the fact that sound engineers have to listen studio monitors 10+hrs a day u wont ever get listening fatigue

15. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Of course most sound engineers are partly deaf :) Studio speakers tend to be capable of being driven to incredible loud levels whereas that is not always the case for domestic speakers. This is why some enginners are partly deaf

In my opinion there is no such thing as a uncoloured speaker. The acoustics of any room are to significant.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well that's asking for everybody with actives to recommend their own choice!

Well far be it for me to break with the above, so I would recommend you have a look at the Blue Sky sat 6.5s that cost around £400 each. They are THX PM3 certified (pro equivelent of Ultra 2) and have 2 100w amps in them. For £300 each you can go for the smaller sat 5s with 2 x 75w amps, but not THX. Sonic Distribution (the UK distributer) will send you a demo set to try in your home for a week, free of charge.

Mark.

17. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am sure I am missing something here but I am confident a grand piano would have no difficulties in filling a 8 by 9 room

18. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Something tells me it must be an electric piano :suicide:

Mark.

19. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Opps :rolleyes: Sometimes the obvious is last thing we see :suicide:

20. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - yes its afully weighted stage piano - full size keyboard etc but none of the large woody bits....

;-)

21. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be worth a giggle then!