1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio Version 9 help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by hermes, Jan 4, 2005.

1. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I tried to capture some old Sony video 8 tapes through Studio Version 9, I kept having problems with it crashing etc but I don't think it was the application but was the pc itself, anyway I have rebuilt and reinstalled everything from scratch and now I am having another problem, I am losing thousands of frames and also the tape seems not to play through the software interface after the first 10 minutes of the tape although the capture seems to carry on but doensn't carry on writing the data. I haven't changed anything on the pc and wonder what I'm doing wrong, any ideas please?

cheers

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

The first thing you should do if you havn't already is update Studio 9 with the latest patch (9.3.5). You can download it for free from http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

The latest version is far more stable than earlier versions.

If you are getting lots of dropped frames you could check, through Pinnacle, that the performance of your HDD is OK i.e. you can read and write to your HDD at a suitable rate. Inability to read and write fast enough leads to dropped frames.

There are many problems which can lead to dropped frames, but from my experience, the most common is due to slow access to the HDD. I'm not sure what causes this but I've found the only sure way, on my system, to cure the problem is to reformat the HDD (I use a second HDD). This usually occurs on my system when the HDD become more than 50-60% full and hasn't been formatted for a couple of months.

If you check the FAQ's on the Pinnacle site it gives you additional methods to cure the problem of dropped frames.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    What makes you think that the problems you are haveing are not because of the application ie Studio 9. It is notorious for crashing during use!

OK so now you have reinstalled your PC. Here are a few things to check that can help reduce dropped frames:

How much spare space is there on the HDD? If less than 20Gb then you need a new HDD.
    Have you defragmented the HDD since the install?
    As stated, do you have the latest updates for Studio 9?
    Have you set Windows to enable DMA for the HDD?
    Have you stopped all non required backgroud programs such as anti virus? If not then a good way to do this is with a program that can be downloaded for free called EndItAll2 - do an internet search for it.

Mark.

4. hal9001

hal9001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had your problem with Studio *, I install the intel Accelerator for my motherboard and it worked fine.

Try here, Intel Website

5. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I have 100gb spare on my H/D, DMA enabled, no antivirus running in the background but even if there was I never had any problems like this a couple of months ago and yes I have defraged it since my rebuild, thanks for the advice I will have to have a rethink!

cheers