• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Studio recommendations (for an amateur)

andyparksy

Prominent Member
Never even been in a studio before but wanted to get some good family pics so was looking at hiring a studio (was thinking of some obligatory high key shots so really getting access to the lighting as much as anything) and wondered if any of you have any recommendations and / or tips.

Have spoken to a couple near me I found (west London) but one was professional only and the other did not hire lights, but would guess there must be a market to hire for a couple of hours with some equipment and maybe the odd bit of help setting up etc, even for a noob like me. Or am I being too optimistic and are studios only for those that actually know what they are doing?

I know there are a lot of places that will do a session for us but knowing how much the other half loves photos I think something like venture would end up costing a small fortune, and besides which I am going to get so much more out of it having a go myself, shooting and the processing, even if the results are not as good......... (which I am more than prepared for)

Cheers

eduk

Distinguished Member
Never even been in a studio before but wanted to get some good family pics so was looking at hiring a studio (was thinking of some obligatory high key shots so really getting access to the lighting as much as anything) and wondered if any of you have any recommendations and / or tips.

Have spoken to a couple near me I found (west London) but one was professional only and the other did not hire lights, but would guess there must be a market to hire for a couple of hours with some equipment and maybe the odd bit of help setting up etc, even for a noob like me. Or am I being too optimistic and are studios only for those that actually know what they are doing?

I know there are a lot of places that will do a session for us but knowing how much the other half loves photos I think something like venture would end up costing a small fortune, and besides which I am going to get so much more out of it having a go myself, shooting and the processing, even if the results are not as good......... (which I am more than prepared for)

Cheers

Do you have the room and inclination to do it in your home? Studio flashes aren't as expensive as you may think. I have second-hand Jessops Portaflash stuff off eBay, nothing award winning, but it gets the job done.

For example, I got the flash head for £30 I think. Stands are around £20 etc.

mucca_D

Prominent Member
Drive down the M4 to South Wales. J23A Magor

Hire me, my gear and the local hall for a day

Lastolight Hi Key tent
x4mrr.jpg

note to self. must do better picture of kit ;) Oh and the hall is not this picture. This was a tiny place that I wil not be using again :)

White, Grey or Black back drops
4 strobes, (Inc batt Battery to go outside)
Softboxes / umbrellas
Triggers - Cable / wireless
Props - inc rugs throws, bean bag, chair stool etc
Cameras

I can help you on the setup you want (venture with out venture cost)

Offer is there.

Indeed the offer is to any member of our little corner. I can also arrange models (not free)

Doug

sneeks

Prominent Member
Looks a nice place. Strange pricing though! or am I being daft?

1 - £ 25 per hour plus VAT
1 & 2 - £ 65 per hour plus VAT
1, 2 & 3 - £100 per hour plus VAT

Wonder which one to go for :rolleyes:

At a guess the price rises if you add all 3 options? (1. Studio, 2. grounds (orchard), 3. kitchen and WiFi) It's not very clear.

mucca_D

Prominent Member
Just to clarify, when I say hire me, I do mean cover the cost of the hall and a donation to the upkeep of my gear :)

Hall is £30

D

andyparksy

Prominent Member
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys for the recommendations - Have booked up with Melon for this weekend as it looks a really good place, was reasonable (the cost is for an hour / half day / full day!) and he appears to be a nice laid back guy with some good ideas (perfect for me!). Have gone with some 1-2-1 time with him to pick up some of the basics.

All in all really looking forward to it. Will post back on the experience for the other novices out there to see what this studio malarkey is all about - am sure there are going to be a fair few people that have always fancied the idea without the confidence to try and sort it out.......

richardhurst

Established Member
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys for the recommendations - Have booked up with Melon for this weekend as it looks a really good place, was reasonable (the cost is for an hour / half day / full day!) and he appears to be a nice laid back guy with some good ideas (perfect for me!). Have gone with some 1-2-1 time with him to pick up some of the basics.

All in all really looking forward to it. Will post back on the experience for the other novices out there to see what this studio malarkey is all about - am sure there are going to be a fair few people that have always fancied the idea without the confidence to try and sort it out.......

So how did you get on with Phil and the studio??

andyparksy

Prominent Member
Was really good actually - very enjoyable. was expecting to be a little overwhelmed but took me through some bits quite nicely without making me feel out of place (think this was my biggest concern) and took away a lot of info.

Oh, and some pretty nice pics as well!!!

We didn't have time to get into anything too unusual but I wanted to get some high key shots of the kids and they have turned out just how the misses liked so a big thumbs up for me. Has also given me some good shots to have a good base for being a little more creative on the processing as well - will post some up when I am feeling more confident!

We overran slightly and kids started to play up a little towards the end but Phil was great. Technically just what I was looking for, had some good ideas and was as friendly as I could have hoped for so thanks a lot for the recommendation.

All in all very recommended. If there is anyone else wondering about getting some studio time in that might be a little unsure, I would definitely recommend it. the £150 was quite expensive but his was mainly due to having a full on 1-2-1 for two hours, but it does mean I would feel more comfortable just booking the space out next time........

He was saying he is doing a meet up / photo walk in London in a few weeks. Not really my thing but think I might give it a go and see.......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom