Question Studio Moitors to SW 150

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Lloydy b, Aug 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lloydy b

Lloydy b
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there guys,

I have just got myself a pair of Monitor Audio BX5 upload_2018-8-12_10-18-48.jpeg And want to connect them to a Wharfedale SW150 sub . Can anyone advise what connections/ leads I would need please ? Many thanks Lloyd

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    There are two ways iirc -

1) use a rca y splitter on your source output with one connection going to the sub and one to the speakers
    2) the sw150 have a daisy chain rca connection so you can go from your source to the sw150 and then onto the speakers. Not sure if the sw150 will then do some sort of crossover or if it is straight through.

Manual here that shows how to st it up http://solitudo.net/hardware/manuals/DIAMOND9_range.pdf

You may also need a couple of these (or similar) as the bx5 seems to only have 1/4” TRS and XLR connectors.

Stagg AC-PMCFH Audio Adaptors - RCA Phono (Female) to 6.3mm TRS Stereo Jack (Mal 5414428160782 | eBay

What are you connecting as a source or are you going through a preamp?

P.s. those are m-audio not monitor audio, different companies.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. Lloydy b

Lloydy b
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ugg ,

At the moment I have a dj mixer with the balanced jacks from the monitors going into the ports. The same ports where the jacks from amp are (the master) ports. Hope this helps thanks

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    If the mixer has two output channels you could use one for the bx5 (xlr to xlr) and one for the sub (xlr to rca). If it only has one output then you can daisy chain - mixer to subwoofer (xlr to rca) then subwoofer to bx5 (rca to xlr) - making sure you get the right xlr end (male/female) on the right length cables.

Loads of options on eBay/amazon. Van Damme cables are ok but all of the forums seem to suggest Mogami are good performance:£ ratio but are not particularly cheap. I am in the process of making some Mogami 2549 cables.

5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Lloydy b - I guess you already have the Wharfedale sub? If not, consider a studio type sub. Studio subs (usually) provide a filtered (i.e. high-pass) output to feed the main speakers thus relieving the main speakers of deep bass duty. Doing this usually allows the system to play cleaner at higher volumes and should make balancing the bass easier too. There are a few subs marketed at hifi/home theatre users that also include this facility (notably SVS - don't know if the SW150 does it) but they're thin on the ground.

This is the M-Audio sub designed to match the BX5 (and other small monitor speakers):

M-Audio SBX10 Active Subwoofer

6. Lloydy b

Lloydy b
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys you've been very helpful

7. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    For info, I just passed on my sw150 to my son who is running a pair of Yamaha hs7 active speakers, he is impressed. I will try and see if the pass through acts as a crossover later in the week. Should be fairly easy with the sub on min volume and a phone spectrum analyser to see if the bottom end changes when the frequency is changespd from 35hz to 85hz.

Will report back.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    Done a quick test -

Set up with pass through the sw150

Pc > dac rca out > sw150 rca input > sw150 rca output > powered active speakers

Set sub volume to zero, played 60hz tone and changed frequency cut off on sub.

Basically, the sw150 is a straight pass through, the 60hz tone did not change volume when the sw150 frequency cut off was changed from 45 to 105 phi.

Thought this may be useful.