Studio Canal Now Supports Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good spot.

I think this might be a crunch title (in a small way).

One of HD DVD's (claimed) strengths is that Europe, and particularly France, is heavily independent and heavily HD DVD.

If that's the case, with this being a dual format release (sorry, didn't you notice that), the HD DVD form guide would suggest it'd be the opposite of Nielsen. I don't see this particular title appealing to PS3-owners (though I'm sure some would disagree).

Poor BD sales for this will merely serve to underline SC's initial HD DVD-only stance. Something nearer 50:50 would be a big eye-opener.

Steve W

Foxclose- where were you in the Paramount goes HD DVD thing- I was suprised you were not posting like a mad man.

Anyway, as Pecker says France is very HD DVD so far, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

It will also be interesting to see how many BD only people on here react to this. Prior to this Studio Canals stock was worth **** all to the BD boys.

Must say as I own both- I dont really care!

Yeah, you said:

"I don't want two boxes! It's never gonna end.
I guess I'll just wait it out..."

So you've paid up to somewhere between £1,200 and £425 for a BD player, but won't now pay another £185 for a HD DVD player?

Because that'd mean having 2 boxes?

I mean you probably already have a BD player, an SD DVD player, an STB of one sort or another, and an A/V amp, at least.

And yet it's great to stay with BD, instead of paying a few bob for one extra box, because Studio Canal have just announced a 30 year old boxed-set of their equivalent of 'Carry On Camping' films?

:confused:

Steve W

No I have no interest in a French Carry on film ! Just nice to have additional support for your format.

I've got a PS3 and I won't buy an seperate HD-DVD player anytime soon. I MIGHT get a combo player later on, but not now. No doubt, Universal and Paramount are a loss, but really there's enough on my Xmas wish list to take me on to CES.

Oh look everybody, FOXCLOSE has started another thread about some worthless POS film/series coming out on BD only...Whoopee...:rolleyes:

Brian - Hi Def neutral (read dual format owner) - and even I don't care...:boring:

This is actually big news for BluRay - it addresses software support in mainland Europe which was one of the biggest weaknesses of the format. However I can't help but chuckle - the BD fanboys never mentioned Studio Canal all the time it was HD DVD exclusive. During that period it was 'unimportant' and never listed when HD DVD exclusive studios were discussed. I guess Paramount and/or Dreamworks can now expect that! :)

For US owners (and US buyers) it won't make any difference of course. Much of Studio Canal's portfolio is distributed by Lionsgate (already BluRay) or independents in the USA. But, assuming they do not adopt regional coding, at least they may get to choose to import alternative versions.

Just been looking at Studio Canal's HD-DVD catalogue and there are many titles that will undoubtedly appeal to EU Blu-Ray owners if released.

- Arizona Dream
- Basic Instinct
- Brotherhood Of The Wolf
- The Deer Hunter
- The Elephant Man
- The Fog
- First Blood
- The Graduate
- King Kong (1976)
- Leaving Las Vegas
- Mulholland Drive
- Rambo: First Blood Part II
- Rambo III
- Serpico
- Terminator 2
- Total Recall
- Traffic

Just been looking at Studio Canal's HD-DVD catalogue and there are many titles that will undoubtedly appeal to EU Blu-Ray owners if released.

- Arizona Dream
- Basic Instinct
- Brotherhood Of The Wolf
- The Deer Hunter
- The Elephant Man
- The Fog
- First Blood
- The Graduate
- King Kong (1976)
- Leaving Las Vegas
- Mulholland Drive
- Rambo: First Blood Part II
- Rambo III
- Serpico
- Terminator 2
- Total Recall
- Traffic
Indeed - most are already out on HD DVD - I suppose it depends if Studio Canal are going BluRay for future releases or whether they will start re-issuing titles. I suspect we may find out at the BD press conference today.

Momentum are also going blu (neutral i suspect), looks like the BDA are starting there Euro push.
Aren't they closely linked? Momentum distribute at least some of the Studio Canal UK releases - Terminator 2 for example.

Isn't Momentum owned by Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc. ?

nice to see foxclose getting attacked for posting BD news again.:rolleyes:

studio canal dont mean much to me, not on the same scale as paramount [-]getting paid off by whoever[/-] going exclusive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom