1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio 9

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by TheHighlander, Jul 30, 2004.

1. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about at the end of my tether with PINNACLE, and hoping you may be able to help, I see that some of you too have experience of the wonderfull world of STUDIO software and basically how CR*P it is. :mad:

Well I've recently bought a full version of STUDIO9 and after reformatting my hard drives and putting on a new "clean" install of windows 2000 and updating it to service pack 4 I installed the new capture card STUDIO AV/DV DELUXE and basically have the same problems as before it just stops totally at some point during rendering and I mean totally stops no mouse movement no button control the only option I have is to do a hard shutdown and re start.

I have disabled background rendering / I have disabled hardware acceleration / I have upgraded to DirectX9b / I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics card / I have NO other software on the PC at all I run only windows and Studio / I have defragged the hard drive after install and between project ( attempts) / and re-installed a new version of Studio9 after using regdelete to clear old versions /I have put pinnacle on a separate hard drive to the operating system.

Just wondering if you had any thoughts on the matter.

Sorry for the rant but after finding out that the support line can keep you on hold up to 45 mins (me yesterday) and then charge you £4.00 PER CALL EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T resolve the problem I am FURIOUS

2. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hi, sorry to hear of your problems :( but is it not possible for you to use a dual boot ?, just install xp on to the harddrive where you have put studio9 and try that. I have installed studio9 on numerous occasions on various drives and never once had it lock up on me using winxp. Just a thought!. Mike

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As a long time user of Pinnacle Studio, I have to agree that, as good as the product is when it does work, it has always suffered from annoying bugs.

Having said that, version 9 has been very reliable for me to date. Looking through all the things you've attempted to fix your problem, the one thing I can't see on your list is installing the latest patch from Pinnacle to bring it up to version 9.1.2.

I strongly advise that you do this as there have been many fixes and enhancements made in this and previous patches.

Another point I'd like to make is that I think you'll find that rather than keeping the Studio program files separated from your system drive, it's actually your capture files which should be put on a disk which has no programs installed.

Hope this helps.

4. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea sorry that was the first thing i did when i installed a new FULL version. Thinking of seeing if unistalling 9 and reinstalling 8 onto the seperate drives as you recomended might work, but now PINNACLE tell me thay can't guarantee the "new" drivers included with the card on the Studio9 disk will work with Studio8.. Just about to give up, if it wasn't the fact that i don't have that option as i have projects i've been hired to complete

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What are the specs of your PC? CPU/RAM/Graphics card/spare disk space etc.

Also what other programs are running on the PC when editing? You should stop all the background programs that you can ie antivirus, firewall etc. Also disable screensavers & power save modes. I use a great free program that can be found on the net called EndItAll to stop all the background progs. Have a search for it and installed it, it really does help.

Mark.

6. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no other processes running and i don't have a firewall or anti virus programme on it as Pinnacle claimed they caused problems. I don't even have a modem installed on there.
    All powersave and scrrensaver set to never

I tried enditall and it only told me that all the processes running were essential and that i couldn't close them.

Thanks for you interest and assistance hope the info below gives you what you need...

PC Spec:
    Processor
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
    Speed : 2.16GHz
    Model Number : 3000 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR3136 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : No
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6570
    Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
    Model : Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : ExcelStor Technology J680
    Hard Disk : IC35L120AVVA07-0
    CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-40125S
    CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Hard Disk (C:) : 76.7GB (73.9GB, 96% Free) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A
    Video (F:) : 115.0GB (88.0GB, 76% Free) (NTFS)

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB 2.0 Root Hub
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
    Device : NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital)
    Device : Pinnacle AV/DV2

Power Management
    AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 4)

Network Services
    Adapter : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

Funny thing just posted on the PINNACLE noticeboard with the same title and within 30 mins i had a snooty e-mail saying they had removed the thread and not to post like this again. Now if their support was that quick to solve the problems i wouldn't have to post in the first place. :laugh:

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I can see a possible problem with the PC setup.

Put both your HDD on the same cable/IDE channel
    Put both your CD/DVD drives on the same cable/IDE channel.

This would make the HDD drives C: & D:
    and the CD/DVD drives as E: & F:

The reason for doing this is that the CD/DVD drives are a lot slower and can slow a HDD down to their max speed if on the same IDE channel.

Mark.

8. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hard drives are on one cable and CD / DVD on the other not sure what caused them to be named like this.