• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Students Protesting Tomorrow Again

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
So we're going to see the same group of scumbags again? People who arent even students showing up tomorrow again?

After the last two protests do people actually care anymore?

7ofnine

Care about what? I certainly care that the higher education system is being pushed beyond reasonable affordability for middle income families.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
So we're going to see the same group of scumbags again? People who arent even students showing up tomorrow again?

After the last two protests do people actually care anymore?

where is your evidence that they were not students?

The most high profile arrest (guy throwing fire extinguisher off roof) was a student.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
where is your evidence that they were not students?

The most high profile arrest (guy throwing fire extinguisher off roof) was a student.

Its been all over the news and radio that alot of the damage being done has been done by vandals and anarchists who are just looing for an excuse to cause damage.

I have to agree whith what James Whale was saying the other day. It should become more americanised with the bursaries or working your way through your studies.

Last edited:

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
Its been all over the news and radio that alot of the damage being done has been done by vandals and anarchists who are just looing for an excuse to cause damage.

I have to agree whith what James Whale was saying the other day. It should become more americanised with the bursaries or working your way through your studies.

Yea I think this could be a good idea.

would make it far more competitive and perhaps then we would get through the "smarter/better" people in uni.

Not saying we do not already, but come on some courses are a bit of a joke and to send so much of the kids out of school to uni is just silly.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
We are in dire need of more engineers and scientists in this country. So what do the government do? Everything they can to put off people training in these disciplines. :thumbsdow

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Aren't students supposed to fight the status quo, not want to keep it?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Yes but it is hard to support a tuition fee rise to £9k per annum if you yourself are benefiting from a university education at a cost of a comparitively mere £3.3k annual cost. Standing alongside your future brethren in solitude indeed

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Care about what? I certainly care that the higher education system is being pushed beyond reasonable affordability for middle income families.
Maybe it's been pushed beyond reasonable affordability for the entire country? What with so many people chosing to go to university regardless of wether it's a decent course or not or wether they are actually clever enough to be there in the first place. University should be a place for the brightest sparks to go and not a place for every Tom, Dick and Harry.

penno116

I wonder how many people protesting actually understand the changes. I was listening to radio 2 last week with Nick Clegg on, right at the end some woman came on ranting about middle income families not being able to afford to spare £9k per year to send their kids to uni, she sounded quite stupid because she clearly does not understand how it all works.

paying off a student loan is bugger all, I don't see what all the fuss is about

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
if its just anarchists and scumbags, then why dont the students do something about stopping it rather than getting carried away and joining in?

i mean throwing a fire extinguisher of a roof ***, thats a silly little boy caught up in the moment if ever i seen it.

theyd earn a bit more respect if they didnt go and smash the places up if you ask me. but instead it seems to be an excuse to go mental and take out your frustrations.

maybe the bill for the damage they cause should be spread out between them and added onto their fees as well? wouldnt be so clever then would it

edit: my mrs works in payroll and was saying they pay bugger all back a month. admittedly their not massive earners (working for dsg group) but im not 100 % but think she said along the lines of £30 a month?

hatchleader

Novice Member
I'm a bit torn on this! I'm a Student and i cant help but want cheaper fees, unfortunatly i know so many students who are at uni just to avoid getting a job, spend all their time drinking and do **** poor subjects like fashion, Drama, and Social studies that i can't help but have little respect for the current system. Maybe we need a way of setting up fees based on the validity of the subject, if you want to doss for 3 years doing a pants degree then feel free... you'll just have to pay a packet to do it!!

guest5234

90% do not even know what they are protesting about, 75% are rent a mob and not students atall, you do not have to pay back any money till you are earning a good wage and then at a really low rate of £5 a week on average,

weetsie

90% do not even know what they are protesting about, 75% are rent a mob and not students atall, you do not have to pay back any money till you are earning a good wage and then at a really low rate of £5 a week on average,

£5 a week is fine, they will have no problem paying that off... over 150 years.

hatchleader

Novice Member
well its based on your earning so as they go up your payments go up! on average though most people will pay less than £100 per month for it, and it comes out like a tax so you never see it to be sad about losing it!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Did you know 90% of all stats are made up? :p

Fowl

£5 a week is fine, they will have no problem paying that off... over 150 years.

IIRC it's wiped out after a certain amount of time (20 years?), so in reality a lot of people probably won't ever pay the full cost of their education.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
IIRC it's wiped out after a certain amount of time (20 years?), so in reality a lot of people probably won't ever pay the full cost of their education.

So those that do well and get a well paid Job will have to pay it back, and quicker.

Those that bum about and get a less well paid job will have to pay less and maybe even not pay it all back.

Sounds just like taxes really! :)

earn more, pay more taxes...and if you include VAT and all the other taxes there are then you can be paying up to 70 odd % in tax on the income you have :)
woohoo!

or

dont bother with getting the best income you have, maybe even dont get a job.
you will pay less tax and maybe not even have to pay back your uni fees :smashin:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
if its just anarchists and scumbags, then why dont the students do something about stopping it rather than getting carried away and joining in?

i mean throwing a fire extinguisher of a roof ***, thats a silly little boy caught up in the moment if ever i seen it.

theyd earn a bit more respect if they didnt go and smash the places up if you ask me. but instead it seems to be an excuse to go mental and take out your frustrations.

maybe the bill for the damage they cause should be spread out between them and added onto their fees as well? wouldnt be so clever then would it

edit: my mrs works in payroll and was saying they pay bugger all back a month. admittedly their not massive earners (working for dsg group) but im not 100 % but think she said along the lines of £30 a month?

Without googling, I think it might be paid pre tax too. Not to sure though.

Unfortunately this will probably follow a similar path to the last debarcle...

You have the main body of the movement who will attend largely organised rallies supporting the protest, then you will have a splinter faction who will by-and-large use this as an excuse to cause disruption and anarchy.

The unfortunate by product of that ill thought out conduct will the undermining of the cause, the attention grabbing idiots will have succeeded in taking the main focus/media away from the actual protest.

Sid

Last edited:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I wonder if they know that not every coarse at Uni is going to cost £9k a year.

Anyway £9k a year is cheap according to most countries.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom