1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student on a tight budget (relative)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Rupert2, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Rupert2

Rupert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, looking to spend £400-£500 on a hifi system --

• 2 Speakers
    • Amplifier
    • CD player
    • Wires etc

I'd prefer quality over a loud sound as my neighbours would probably appreciate. I'm fairly new to all this stuff so the only place I really know to buy from is Richer Sounds (such is the case with many people) so if you have any other places you could recommend that would be great as well. Are there any special wiring techniques I should use when setting up?

I've done a bit of research and was going to go for Gale 3030 speakers but apparently they're rubbish. The Cambridge Audio A5 looks good as well but I really don't know... Google just comes up with KELKOO stuff.

Cheers
    Rupert

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi Rupert
    I've acquired much of my equipment whilst a student and would thoroughly recommend the second hand market. Ebay is OK and good for research but TBH you can't really beat the classifieds on this forum as it's reasonably safe, reasonably priced and you can be reasonably sure that the equipment has been well looked after. If you could actually specify a budget then I'm sure people would be able to come up with some options for you to look into.

As far as cables go then I wouldn't worry too much as long as you get some that look reasonably well made. I would recommend the DIY route, there are plenty of threads in the DIY and cabling sections that you might like to read.

A good tip for google is to type "-ebay -kelkoo" (without the quote but with any other side you don't want searched) after your keywords in the search field. :)

3. Rupert2

Rupert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah never seen the classifieds on here before! Awesome. Yeah budget is £400-£500 as specified. Will have a look

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Excellent, about £150 on each of CD player, amp and speaker pair should leave you a bit to play with for that extra little bit of a bargain and the appropriate stands/cables.

There's no hard and fast rule to follow but have a browse, read reviews and make sure you try and match kit sensibly (ie. Pioneer with Mission would be a very bright and possibly unpleasant sound) for your music tastes. :)

5. zzag

zzag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can pick up a creek amp for around £40-£50,

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Actually, a lot of Pioneer amps sound quite good with Mission speakers, in my experience, nothing like what you make out...

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    You could get all the second hand stuff but you could still try some of the budget hifi with the amount you have to spend.
    The Cambridge Azur 6 range amp can be picked up for about 250 quid.
    You could Also pick up the equivalent CD player or even the Marantz CD5400 which is 100 quid cheaper at £100. Alternative amp and CD players could be NAD C320 BEE (£170) and the NAD C521 BEE for £160 quid. As for Speakers There are very good Mission speaker (M731i?) just around 120 quid. However the best option would probably be the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's which are excellent(£179).

For speaker cable I would use CATS and get a mark grant 1 metre interconnect for 25 quid.

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Where did you read that? Certainly you can do better but they're not that bad as a first "step on the hi-fi ladder". My old Gale 5's did me sterling service for 2 or 3 years.
    First lesson - let your ears decide!!!

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, if you like the sound of the gales by all means go for those (I've got a pair of gale 2i speakers, which sound great for the money...) One thing you might want to bare in mind is that because of the perception that gale speakers are not good they often go for v little secondhand (I paid £20 for my 2is, which were originally £140 speakers) - if you buy new, you may not get too much for them if you resell when upgrading...what I'd suggest is that if you're happy to buy secondhand you wait for a pair to come up (or for Richer Sound to get a cheap refurb pair in) and save a bit of your budget :)

Jon