• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Student Finance?

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Just need a quick question answered.
I'm applying for my student finance for the 2011/2012 year ( my first year ) and at the moment my parents earn over the amount, which you get a grant given to you.
However, in January my Step-father is retiring, meaning they would be earning less and I would be in the bracket that can apply for a grant.
However, do they
A) Take pensions into account?
B) I take it, this wouldn't benefit me this year, but would for my 2012/2013 year?

Also, my mum is going from being a full time teacher to being a supply teacher, but her wage will vary each month, would this affect whether I get a grant at all?

Thanks.
Jack

nheather

Distinguished Member
Everything I have read refers to houshold income.

Normally, pensions do count as income - they are subject income tax on them after all.

Cheers,

Nigel

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member

Normally, pensions do count as income - they are subject income tax on them after all.

Cheers,

Nigel

Shame :(
No worries, Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member

Cheers,

Nigel

Yep - pensions most likely count.

I'm pretty sure define some point at which your income is considered - if your parents both lost their jobs the next day then that's just tough - after all, you don't have to give the grant back if they suddenly get a big pay-rise.

You apply each year though, as you say.

These two :)

Surprisingly doing it all this year was much easier than last year.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It does make the whole income based assessments rubbish, particularly when self employed such as my mum was; that was such a mess with providing evidence and them rejecting it because they don't understand that self employed people are 1 tax year behind :facepalm:
You are lucky you get to use the new Direct.gov site, the old SLC site was just :censored:

But yes, any taxable income is used for the assessment, and pensions are taxable income.

You might still be entitled to a Bursary from the University so make sure that the SLC have permission to pass your details to third parties, this is now the default option (in the past it wasn't).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom