• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stud wall help !

mehullakhani

Standard Member
Hi All

I am about to start my home cinema install. It is for one of the title and swovel brackets holding a 40" samsung on the wall. The only suitable position is above the radiator, but I hope to put a shelf below that will be foilf backed to try and reflect some of the heat.

The people who lived in the house before us, had a flat, non moving mount up against the wall, and I can see where they have replastered when they took the mount out, and as you can see they have left the RF and mains sockets in place.

I want to make the mounting as strong as possible as I understand that title and swivel brackets put uneven loads on the mounting points. from working out where the studs are, I dont think that all 4 mounting points on the bracket ( 400 x 400mm ) will line up over the studs.

How can I add extra studs in ? Or can I bolt extra timbers to the existing stud work to create some timber in the right place - for example some very strong noggins ? Is it okay to screw the bracket into those ? How do I attach these horizontal pieces of wood to the studs ? What brackets ? How can I strengthen the studs to help the 31kg of the TV and bracket ?

Cables will be run out to the Right side of the where the bracket will go and then will go to some side shelfs.

Hope someone can help !

R

Mehul

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

stud2.jpg

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Personally I would cut out the plasterboard between the studs then screw an upright noggin to each of the existing stud sides with good long screws or coach bolts. Then cut a piece of 10mm ply to the size of the opening, screw the ply to the noggins & the bracket to the ply. Have done this several times before for heavier sets than yours :)

Geps

Just use the largest (diameter) screws that fit. The depth should be enough to go through as much as the wood as possible and not go through the other side.

Geps

You'd need to tell us what size and type studs are they......well actually I suppose virtually all studs should be fine with that but I'd hate to pass comment unless I knew for sure....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom