Stud detector and foil backed insulation help

paul77

hi Recently got my garage converted into a cinema room (will post some before and after pics) but have now come up against a problem I didn't plan on.

I am trying to mount some sort of shelving system for the screen and projector etc but low and behold the stud detector I bought (cheap one) can't locate the studs due to the foil insulation board, now I have a feeling if I get one with a metal detector it will hopefully point out the studs between the metal/foil, anyone tried this? Or anyone got any other ideas as i have tried tapping and drilling holes and its not really working apart from making a mess of my walls :rolleyes:

27neth

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I bought one from B&Q. It cost about £30, what a waste of time. It would not detect anything. I could pass it over a stud wall where i knew the timbers were placed, nothing.... I even set out some 4x2 and put plasterboard over the top still a waste of time.
It would sometmes detect cables it sometimes would not :mad:
I took it back and got a refund, you might as well go to a joke shop and buy some x-ray glasses :thumbsup:

john.

27neth

Distinguished Member
Can you not take a length of skirting off the wall? then you can put as many nail holes behind there as you like. Once you have found one they should be 400mm centres.

John.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom