Quantcast

Stuck pixel on my Pioneer Kuro 5090 UPDATE: IT'S BACK!

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Found this last night when on my Blu-ray player menu screen (green pixel bright) shows up when stuff is playing so I'm guessing it's a dreaded stuck pixel.

Is there a fix for this, or do I have to contact where I bought it from to get them to fix it?

It was bought 2 yrs ago but it was from John Lewis and it had a 5yr warranty luckily.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I can't see what they can do about it, tbh.
I very much doubt you can get Pio panels now (but could be wrong) and even if you can, I'm not sure they'd be willing to replace it on the basis of one stuck pixel after two years.

You'll have to speak to JL and see what they say, I guess.

The good news is that stuck pixels can suddenly come unstuck.

There are DVDs that claim to be able to cure the problem, but there's no guarantees;

Stuck Pixels

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I would at least ring JL and sound them out, their warranty support is meant to be excellent so they may well surprise you!

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys, I've sent them an email, now to wait and see what they say.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, the software is more for computers I think, but have downloaded the pattern image and put it on a dvd and giving that a try.

Worth a shot!

Number 6

Distinguished Member
That didn't work sadly.

Spoke to John Lewis today and they're sending an engineer out next week to look at it.

I did mention they dont make these sets anymore, but the chap told me that Pioneer make spare parts for 6 years after the sets are discontinued.

Fingers crossed time then!

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Wondering what will happen if they can't fix the stuck pixel? Would JL offer to replace the tv?

phorenzik

Unless Pioneer ever had a zero dead/stuck pixel promise, I suspect the engineer will probably state that one stuck pixel is within operating specification and therefore report no fault found.

Which, is annoying, I know.

If JL do offer a repair, I really think you'll be lucky to get a screen replacement. Despite companies pledging spare parts for 6 years, it's very rare for this to be the case.

I suspect the best you could possibly expect to get from this, would either be a swap for an entirely different TV, or a refund, minus approx 40% of the original purchase price.

Good luck with it and keep us all informed please.

Last edited:

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing you'll end up with a Panny VT30

Number 6

Distinguished Member

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
AndyB1973 said:
Is this what they're likely to offer as a replacement?
It's the most comparable model.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
They won't change the screen for one pixel. It says as much in the manual. Try popping the analogue tv signal on, the black and white snowy screen might just get it working again.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
The other issue is the inbuilt tuner is poor and frequently says no signal even though the DVD recorder (connected to the same aerial) has no such issues.

They are coming to look at that too.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Update: engineer has been today and has had a look at the set.

They've taken the TV away and are going to fit a new screen to it - we've now got a crappy 32" LCD to tide us over until our set comes back.

phorenzik

I'd be very surprised if a new screen gets fitted.

They'll probably contact you in a couple of weeks to let you know that they can no longer get a screen and then you'll have to choose an alternative TV.

Was the repair company Martin Dawes?

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I hope not! Don't know who the company was but it was through John Lewis.

They've told us it'll be back within a week.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Don't forget that by law they don't have to fit a 'new' screen, it could be one salvaged from another unit.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I'd be happy with that though, better than having another set that might bring with it more issues (like the new Panasonics I guess).

woppy101

Distinguished Member
I would be amazed if they fit a new screen,I had a new screen fitted by pioneer and the invoice of the screen was £1250 cost.JL will probably get that price off pioneer(who are the only ones with new screens)and then tell you to choose a replacement

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Still cheaper than a new set though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I don't want to part with my Kuro yet.

woppy101

Distinguished Member
I'd be happy with that though, better than having another set that might bring with it more issues (like the new Panasonics I guess).
Make sure you let Them know you want the tv back if they can't repair it or they will just scrap it and tell you to choose a replacement

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I'm sure theyll let me know and give me the choice, JL are supposed to be very good for customer service etc.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I'm sure theyll let me know and give me the choice, JL are supposed to be very good for customer service etc.
JL do have good CS , Only just read the last few posts here but are you letting a company take your TV away for just 1 stuck/ dead pixel ?, I have had success unsticking pixels by flicking them through a thin cloth.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
on the contrary to all the negativity, Id say with a set like this they are far more likely to do EVERYTHING they can to solve the problem as the OP has outlined, replacing with an equivilant is still a VERY costly thing for JL to do, not to mention theyd be stuck with a technically faulty set afterwards. 1 dead pixel may be salvageable so im sure theyre working flat out on it to get it unstuck!