1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck on what to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stuart_day64, Dec 13, 2004.

1. stuart_day64

stuart_day64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am looking into dvd recorders however i feel the market is saturated with all the different machines and technologies and it is just pot luck whether u get the machine u want. I was wondering if anybody had an suggestions considering the following criteria

This is going to be my main dvd player

Musts

progressive scan
    excellent pictures

Would likes

dv input
    good compatability

Maybe a Hard disk but i am considering without as well so both suggestions would be cool.

cheers

stu :) :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

2. yhtomit

yhtomit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the list of features you were looking for the Sony RDR HX-900
    immediately sprang to mind. According to reviews in the magazines it has the
    best DVD playback of all the recorders and very high recording quality.
    It has DV input and progressive scan and supports all formats except DVD-RAM. It does include a 160GB hard disk which bumps the price up to about £500, if you buy online.

The only downsides of this machine are its editing capabilities (not as good
    as Panasonic, Toshiba), and if you go over the three hour mark, recording to DVD rather than the hard drive, the quality will not be as good as say a Panasonic.

If you don't want the hard drive then consider the Sony RDR GX-700, although I'm not sure if it has DV input or progressive scan.

Hope this is of help.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Most of it hinges around whether you want to use DVD-RW's or not. DVD-RAM is a lot more versatile, but won't play on many other DVD players. If DVD-RAM is OK, then the Panasonic range is well worth a look.

4. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pioneer DVR-520H.

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you don't have sky+ or something then go for one with a hard drive, you may want to record more than a couple of hours while your out, and not having to keep looking for something to record on is good....