1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck on 'searching for listings'

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Benview, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Benview

Benview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am looking for some help!

We recently had to move our Sky dish due to an extension we are doing to the house. We originally fixed it to a makeshift wooden stand in the garden! We managed to position the dish and were able to watch Sky without much problem although Sky+ didn't work.

We have now moved the dish to it's final position on the chimney but are having problems.

We tried to position the dish using a satellite scanner thing and followed all the instructions but were getting 'no signal being received' message. After looking on this message board we thought we would try a new LNB which we received and fitted yesterday. Now all we get is 'searching for listings'.

I have checked the signal strength and for input 1 it is approx 40% and 30%, there is no input 2 signal.

Does anyone know what we are doing wrong? Are we going to have to call Sky?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if there is no input on signal 2 it is usually an indication that your hard drive has given up the ghost. Did it get knocked about when you moved it?

3. Benview

Benview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I don't think the box has been damaged in any way but maybe it is a problem with the hard drive. Would a no signal 2 reading not mean it just wasn't tuned in properly? I don't think we have had a signal 2 reading since we moved the dish the first time. We have had it for about a year and a half - is this the life span??

4. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Sky+ the lifespan seems to be anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 years. If you're not sure about the dish alignment Sky would come out for a flat fee of £65 (including all parts and labour) and either realign your dish, replace your box or anything else that might need doing.

On the other hand, if you can rule out your dish alignment being the problem, you could replace your hard drive with a bigger one for less than the £65 (it's pretty simple to do) OR you can take out your current drive and get a replacement straight from Maxtor who have a three year warranty on their drives.

It all boils down to how confident you are that your dish is correctly aligned. I've never used a signal detector but if you're using it right and it says the signal's good I'd tend to believe it.

The other alternative is that you've damaged your dish/lnb in the move. Have you definitely reconnected both satellite feeds to the lnb and the Sky+ box?

5. Benview

Benview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    All cables are connected but I will check all cables are OK in loft incase there is a problem there.
    We replaced the LNB yesterday so that shouldn't be the problem.
    I would hope the signal detector was working and according to it, the dish is aligned properly. Will try this again just in case but it looks like we might need to call Sky.
    As Sky+ hasn't been working since we moved the dish originally it might be worthwhile calling them out anyway.
    Thanks for your help.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Swap the LNB inputs on the back of the box. If the box is still reporting no signal on LNB2, it could well be a bad hard disk. However, since your signal on LNB1 is only 30 to 40% (and should be nearer 70 to 90%), then your dish is obviously out of alignment, and you should rectify this first.

7. Benview

Benview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.

Have tried your suggestions but still no luck.

Sky coming out on Friday.

Thanks

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you may have the dish pointing at the wrong satellite. We'll see what the Sky man says....

9. Benview

Benview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky came on Friday - dish needed re-aligned - was pointing at wrong satellite!

He was only there for 10 minutes but at least it is working again now even Sky +.

Thanks for you help.