stuck on room layout

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mr Andy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Mr Andy

Mr Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

I moved into the house about 18months ago but have just been making do with the TV in the corner and speakers either side

The room isn't small but has a lot of things taking up most of the walls at the moment
    [​IMG]
    I've marked the doors in red and radiators/gas fire in blue. The plan is to remove the gas fire completely and if possible use a single tall narrow radiator to give me more wall space.

If I put the sofa where the gas fire is I could have the rear speakers on stands (ideal solution as they are curved and aren't drilled for brackets). My concern with this is that the main speakers would be a little under 2m apart (outer edges) and one would be very close to the dining room door (marked C).

If I put the TV where the fire is I can have the sofa on the wall where the radiators are but I'm not sure how to mount the rear speakers. I would have gone for above the doors but there's a lump for the stairs above B (which is the under stairs storage).

Any bright ideas? I know putting a speaker near a radiator is a bad idea but I'm not sure how close is safe. I'm guessing as heat rises above needs more space then the side. The house was built in 1990ish and it's the ground floor so I'm guessing it's a concrete floor. I don't know how much pipe will be left after the gasfire is capped off

I'd like to fit a sofa and chair in the room, anything else can fit around heat/AV/silly number of doors. What gets me is I don't even use the dining room which started out as a garage, a garage would however be nice for the motorbike

2. Mr Andy

Mr Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just been playing with some speaker positions

With the chair in front of my gas fire I put my speakers on the other wall, first allowing for the dining room door and then a bit further apart. I thought it sounded significantly better with the speakers further apart. As I can't put a speaker in front of the dining room door this leads me to put the TV where the gas fire is and rears on the wall with the radiators.

I know idealy the rear speakers should be at the sides but I was wondering if I could have a shelf at head height at both corners and where door B is make it a folding door with the hinges as the other edge. I'd have to leave some space and it would be slightly in the way when the door is open but it's just the hoover in there anyway. Does this sound reasonable?