Stuck on deciding on a 65" Low cost TV

Silverhoop

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Really trying to make a decision but I think I have just started bamboozling myself. Feel that every time I see a recommendation I then find another review of someone slating it!!

Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? - UHD Treaming (I think)
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? - No
Netflix? - Not really (See below)
Amazon? - Yes, where I also have quite a lot of side loaded apps (FreemyTV, Morpheus etc)
Apple TV - No
Catch up TV? - Ideally
HDR games consoles? - Nintendo, Wii, Wii U and Switch
PC usage? - No
DVDs? - No
FHD Blu-Rays? - No
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? - No

I think I have sort of narrowed myself down to:

LG 65UM7000PLA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV - Currys for £579
LG 65UM7450PLA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV - Currys for £629
LG 65UK6300PLB 65-Inch UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV - Amazon £599
PHILIPS 65PUS6554/12 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV - Available at Currys £579
Samsung 65-inch RU7100 HDR Smart 4K TV - Amazon £576
HISENSE H65B7100UK 65-Inch 4K UHD HDR Smart TV - Amazon £529

Basically it will be the new TV for the Living Room,
My son will use it for playing games and I for watching Game Of Thrones :)

Any advice would be really helpful

Cheers

Silver

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Which panel type do you want in a TV?
What about your other preferences in the template?

Have you seen the recommendations here?

Thanks for getting back to me Dodgexander,

Panel type (Going by the diagram) would probably be IPS

As for the rest:

PQ Attributes:
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)
SDR Colour Accuracy
SDR Brightness
SDR Colour Saturation
HDR Brightness
HDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Saturation
Blacks
Local dimming

Pet Hates:

Haloing
Motion Blur
Motion Judder
Motion stutter
Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
Loss of detail in dark areas
Reflective screens
Soap Opera Effect
Temporary image retention
3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Most Important:
Price
Connections
Sound
Smart TV (which apps)?
HDR PQ
SDR PQ
Wide Viewing angles

As I said, it will be mainly for my son to play games and me to watch normal TV and movies.

As much as I love watching TV the main thing for me was just to get a bigger set. I have recently changed our living room and the 42" we had just looks really small now.

Again, I read reviews of a set and then the next review is omeone slating it, but sometimes for ridiculous reasons, and sometimes for valid reasons.

I'm just getting bogged down by information and drowning ;)

Best TV for you would be the 65" UM7xxx series you've already mentioned.

All the TVs with that model number scheme have the same picture quality, but differences in price, where they are sold and aesthetic design, and the type of remote control included. so pick up whichever you think has the best overall package in terms of aesthetic design/warranty/store with good customer service.
Here's a search for all variations of the same model: 65UM - Search at PriceSpy UK

On current pricing I'd choose to pick up the UM7400 from Richer for a little more than the UM7000 from Curry's. That way you'll avoid having to deal with Curry's if anything goes wrong and you'll also get the LG point and squirt magic remote.

Sign up to their VIP club first and you'll also get a 6 year warranty instead of standard 5.

Thanks again Dodgexander

I was starting to lean toward the LG UM7400PLB both from my research and your recommendation on your best value TV's post.

I hadn't thought of Richer Sounds for the purchase. I notice though that it is slightly cheaper on Amazon but oddly a price guarantee on Richer (???)

I will definetly go for this TV now though, probably still best going to Richer and getting the 6 year warranty

THank you for all your help, both here and on your other posts, it really has helped me a hell of a lot more than just reading customer reviews or Techradar etc.

Cheers

Silver

Thanks again Dodgexander

I was starting to lean toward the LG UM7400PLB both from my research and your recommendation on your best value TV's post.

I hadn't thought of Richer Sounds for the purchase. I notice though that it is slightly cheaper on Amazon but oddly a price guarantee on Richer (???)

I will definetly go for this TV now though, probably still best going to Richer and getting the 6 year warranty

THank you for all your help, both here and on your other posts, it really has helped me a hell of a lot more than just reading customer reviews or Techradar etc.

Cheers

Silver
Richer have their price beat policy where you can ask them to price match another retailer. But they only let you do it if the opposing retailer offers an extended warranty, which Amazon do not.

Glad I've been able to help!

How does the 65UM compare with Hisense's offerings?
I'm in the process of working out which 65" to get in the black friday sale too!

How does the 65UM compare with Hisense's offerings?
I'm in the process of working out which 65" to get in the black friday sale too!
They are TVs for different scenarios because they use different panel types. There's more info in the guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Read the opening post part on the steps you need to take when narrowing down which TVs to choose from.

Hoping this gets seen as I'm not really sure where else to post this question.

I bought the TV as above - LG UM7400PLB

My question is - I have put 3 different USB sticks in the back, tried re-formatting them differently but I still can't get it to pause live tv.
I can use the USB to store photos and movies etc. but when I try to pause I get a message saying I should plug a memory stick in the back.

Is there a specific stick I should use? Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Gerry

Hoping this gets seen as I'm not really sure where else to post this question.

I bought the TV as above - LG UM7400PLB

My question is - I have put 3 different USB sticks in the back, tried re-formatting them differently but I still can't get it to pause live tv.
I can use the USB to store photos and movies etc. but when I try to pause I get a message saying I should plug a memory stick in the back.

Is there a specific stick I should use? Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Gerry
Look at the user manual on the TV or online: http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w19_mr/dvb/Apps/w4.5_mr_e04/e_eng/livetv.html

If it doesn't work then it may be your USB drives aren't compatible.

I see the Techwood 65AO8UHD 65 Inch has been very popular & with very good user reviews.
But there's hardly a mention of it on AV forums and I'm wondering why this is,...??

I actually bought one from AO for £359 using a £40 eBay voucher.
However the delivery Guy dropped it onto the corner of the tailgate of the delivery wagon busting the screen.
I then had to accept a refund as AO no longer had it in stock.

Considering all the very positive user reviews on this TV. I'm wondering if I've missed out on a bargain of a lifetime.
Any first hand experience of the picture quality of these TV's would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
JC

No first hand experience but pretty sure techwood is just another Vestel brand so file it under the same quality as Toshiba, Panasonic's cheaper models, hitachi and any other TV produced by them.

If you expect little, then you may be happy. But you can often find named brand products for the same money or less that even come with a 5-6 warranty. If you shop for refurbished models you can also probably buy a mid range model for similar prices.
Considering all the very positive user reviews on this TV. I'm wondering if I've missed out on a bargain of a lifetime.
I highly doubt it. I'd personally go for the cheapest named brand you can (sans Panasonic). Recommendations are in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Here are some real bargains:

But again, I wouldn't touch Panasonic models lower than the GX700 since they like the Techwood are probably Vestel TVs.

Here's a thread about vestel:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom