Question Stuck - marantz and sky with Atmos

Tim_Field

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Marantz 7010 with Atmos and a Sky Q box that supports it. I don’t appear to be getting an Atmos signal. I have done the following:

• Dolby Digital Plus activated on the sky box
  • Movie with UHQ output with Atmos explicitly listed on the film
  • hdmi directly into the amp
  • Checked the movie sound options and Atmos is not on them

On this set up I get “Dolby digital +”the Dolby symbol followed by an S
I have seen pictures of the amp showing the words Atmos on the front.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Tim

Apologies if I'm wrong but do you have an Atmos speaker layout of at least 5.1.2 and configured the Marantz to reflect that. I can confirm that if you have the correct speaker and configuration that any Atmos soundtrack from Sky will, or should, be automatically portrayed by the Marantz.

That may be the issue, my dad has 3 speaker system. On my home cinema at home which has 5 speakers on a marantz 8801a this shows Atmos when running Amazon prime, so I was expecting this to do the same. I may be wrong!

I'd suggest that you are incorrect about the AV8801. The 8801 isn't even Atmos enabled so will not indicate Atmos or be able to portray Atmos. Do you mean the AV8802A as opposed to the 8801? The 8802a is Atmos enabled.

. You'd also need at least a 7 channel 5.1.2 setup in order for your SR7010 to even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata in the incoming audio. The AV receiver will only give you the DD+ or the TrueHD element of the audio package being streamed to it via a setup that hasn't at least 7 speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration. The same would be true of the AV8802 processor and it would not acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata unless the speakers configurations are conducive with what is required to portray Atmos. If a receiver or a processor were indicating Atmos with only 5 speakers present then this would be an indication that the receiver or processor isn't correctly configured and that it thinks that the setup is one that is conducive with what is required to portray Atmos.

Last edited:
I'll reiterate what has been said above. You do need a speaker configuration of 5.1.2 to portray Atmos as well has have a receiver that is capable of Atmos decoding. That layout is three front speakers, two surrounds speakers (all at a seated head height), a subwoofer and two speakers either in/on the ceiling, upward firing modules or two speakers mounted high on the front wall and angled towards the MLP.

If you don't meet any of those above then you will be unable to access Atmos from any source.

Got it thanks all. It’s not a big issue.
My typo earlier sorry, I have the 8802a, this does show Atmos on the front with Amazon prime and Apple TV box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom