Stuck in the middle literally

glent12

Standard Member
I just moved home and im very confused about my estimated download speed.
Its a new build and theres a green exchange box about 100m from my which i asume both me and my dad are connected to. with his telephone number on sky/02/BE websites they estimate his potential speed at 16-17. my friend who lives 200m to the left on my house is on sky and recieves 16mb. Im in the middle of the two and all websites i try report 5.5 is max on the line?? is this a databse error or am i missing something?
My postcode NE63 9NL
Dads NE63 9EL
Hope this image clears things up

beerhunter

Novice Member
Don't use Post Codes for estimating ADSL speeds. They vary in size and are idiosyncratic in shape. They were designed for the delivery of letters, not ADSL.

Plus what has this to do with BT?s

Last edited:

Rygar

Novice Member
The green box is not an exchange. The exchange will be an actual building, probably grey & nondescript (it wont have BT signs outside or anything).

Suspect all 3 of you will connect to the same exchange & be able to connect at fairly high speeds if your wiring is OK.

The checkers you have tried have probably been based on ADSL, not ADSL2+ which Sky/BE/O2 use and is capable of faster speeds. As said already these checkers not very accurate anyway. You cant tell what speed you will really get until actually connected.

Use the 1st link in my sig. Enter your phone No & postcode then click on locality on the next page. It will give you a rough distance to your exchange.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom