• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

stuck in standby

davemaden

Standard Member
i have a philips 23pfl5522d/05 hd tv and it seems to be stuck in stand by , when i try to turn tv on , the light on the front goes green as if its going to turn on , then flashes red a couple of times then turns red permenantly as if back into stanby mode . how can i sort this and what could be the problem ? thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
C31 which is a 2200uF 10v capacitor on the Power supply board is a common suspect for those symptoms.
I wouldn't attempt the repair yourself unless you're skilled at soldering and comfortable handling electronic components.

davemaden

Standard Member
thanks ive found c31 it is slightly raised is there a way to test it or is it best just to replace it and try tv to see if it works . thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
thanks ive found c31 it is slightly raised is there a way to test it or is it best just to replace it and try tv to see if it works . thanks

If the top is "domed", it's faulty.
I would just replace it.
Good luck :thumbsup:

ProDave

there seems to be a few with domed tops , is it possible a few could have blown ? thanks

Electrolytic capacitor failure is common in all sorts of consumer electronics these days.

Any one that has a domed top has failed and definitely needs replacing.

That may fix your problem, but there may be others that look okay that are still not right, so if there are not too many I would replace them all.

A lot of tv parts suppliers sell kits to replace the whole lot in many sets.

davemaden

Standard Member
yes looks like the c31 cap , an ex tv engineer said i could warm cap up with hairdryer and this sometimes just kicks it back to life for a short time just to see if it is c31 . so i tried this and the tv switched on ok when cap is hot , but wont work when it cools down , has anyone heard of this before , it certainly works , and thanks to everyone for helping me .

JayCee

Distinguished Member
so i tried this and the tv switched on ok when cap is hot , but wont work when it cools down , has anyone heard of this before

Yes, very common and that proves the cap is faulty...it has a high ESR.
To be on the safe side as advised by ProDave replace any "domed" caps with 105 degree types.

Captain Crink

Standard Member
Does anyone know if there is a similar "stock" fault with 32PF9986? This set sometimes needs to be disconnected from mains in order to get out of standby mode. Otherwise it's fine. A quick visual on the PSU board didn't reveal anything obvious. Replacing parts is not a problem for me.

davemaden

Standard Member
is there anyway i can find out the sizes of the other caps on the psu board then i can get some , as i cant see them all as they are close together and it means de-soldering , is there a service manual or something that will describe them for me ? thanks again

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You would need a circuit and/or parts list (which I don't have) but in your case you can see the faulty caps so just carefully remove them one at a time and make a note of the circuit ref no which should be printed on the pcb next to the cap and note their value.
Only replace them with 105 degree types.

davemaden

Standard Member
it was indeed the cap at c31 , when it was removed the bottom of the cap had blown not the top , have replaced with a new one and tv working fine thanks to all who helped

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom