Question Stuck deciding between a few TV's for gaming *budget*

Gameghast

Hey!

So I've never bought a TV before, I've always had hand-me-downs.

My current TV is: LG 43UH610V

The most info I can find on the specs are: LG 43UH610V : 43'' LG ULTRA HD 4K TV | LG UK

Now, going into looking for an 'upgrade' I really didn't know what I was looking for. I went into it thinking my budget would be £400 but I can go to £550-600 at the most. I have a feeling it wouldn't get me much.

The current one's that I've seen that people have recommended on budgets are:

Samsung 50" TU8000
Philips 50" PUS8555

They both seem to have some downsides to them, but honestly everytime I find one that I like, another pops up and makes me look into it. And im having real trouble finding real upgrades between what I have and the ones im looking at, as I have autism Im having a tough time seeing the information i need to see within the comparisons.

I really liked the look of the Philips, me and my fiancee are reallly drawn in by the obvious gimmick of the ambilight, but i've heard Philips do have some down sides to them too?

We're mostly looking for a TV that preferably has Android TV, Alexa compatible, and good for gaming.
We really did fall inlove with the ambilight, but if there's something that heavily outweighs it, that speaks for itself.

The current tv will go into the bedroom, so the new TV will sit in the living room, we currently have a Switch, ps4 and will be getting the new Xbox, hence the 'want' for a new TV. Though I imagine anything within my budget wouldn't be futureproofed anyway.

Size wise I can go 50-55inch probably.
Price wise £500 max (Though recommendations for anything around this pricing is fine too!)

Sorry if I asked any wrong questions or put this in the wrong place or anything, and thankyou for any help!

Dodgexander

Your current TV is a 2016 model and really not any worse than similarly priced low tier models today.

I have a guide with all the best buy models here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

Consider that if you stick to your budget a low tier model won't really be a great improvement over what you're currently using, TVs don't move on fast enough to make a lower tier model bought today that much better than one bought 4 years ago.

Before picking out specific models, make sure to read the bit in the opening post (and the link) to determine which panel type you prefer. Your current TV is IPS, whilst the two models you picked out are VA. The type of panel is the most important decision to make before settling on a specific model.

Gameghast

Your current TV is a 2016 model and really not any worse than similarly priced low tier models today.

I have a guide with all the best buy models here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

Consider that if you stick to your budget a low tier model won't really be a great improvement over what you're currently using, TVs don't move on fast enough to make a lower tier model bought today that much better than one bought 4 years ago.

Before picking out specific models, make sure to read the bit in the opening post (and the link) to determine which panel type you prefer. Your current TV is IPS, whilst the two models you picked out are VA. The type of panel is the most important decision to make before settling on a specific model.

Hey!

I actually looked through your guided earlier! But I was still confused haha!

Ah so would you say investing in one a bit better will let it last much longer? Honestly I come from the Gaming PC which is 'Hey there's this x10000 better graphics card' nearly every year, so I was ready for a 'heres a new TV' and then floods of upgrades.

I took a look at the IPS vs VA thing. Is there something im missing aside from viewing angle and colour? (sorry if you did answer it in your FAQ, I must have missed it!)

I definitely wouldn't want to spend the money on a TV that isn't even an upgrade from my current one, would you happen to know how much I 'should' be looking at for an actual improvement? Would it be around £800 range perhaps?

Dodgexander

I'd recommend going for the Sony 49XH9505 if you can. Just beware that it does have narrow viewing angles. Once you get to TVs this good, viewing angles are really the only disadvantage compared to other TVs.

Part of the problem with modern TVs is HDR, to be able to use it you need a minimum baseline of specs, 1000 nits peak brightness, good local dimming.

To use your PC graphics card analogy, its a bit similar to ray tracing. You need an RTX card to properly use that feature without having any problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom