• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stuber (2019) - Bautista and Nanjiani

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Stuber-2-700x467.jpg

Dave Bautista is a "vengeful cop" who gets Kumail Nanjiani to drive him around LA for VENGEANCE (i.e. buddy/action/comedy movie).

Early word from SXSW looks promising:

'Stuber': Film Review | SXSW 2019

SXSW Film Review: ‘Stuber’

'Stuber' Work-In-Progress Screening: Put Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista In Everything, You Cowards [SXSW]

I like the sound of this approach too:

One other detail that differentiates “Stuber” from your average action-comedy: The movie embraces the real-world physics of gunplay, car crashes, and hand-to-hand combat — obviously bent for both dramatic and comedic effect. People die, often and quite brutally, while the characters attempt to pull off tricks they’ve seen in other action movies, frequently with far different results.

Last edited:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Watched this tonight. It's kind of like a film Bruce Willis would have made just before he was famous or just after. It isn't well made. It isn't well written...but it is entertaining and it does make you laugh. In fact some of the laughs are quite inspired...there's a one-liner from a parrot which really creased me up.

I was going to give it a 6/10 but the parrot is still making me chuckle...so it's an undeserved 7/10.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Had fun with this, felt like a throw back to the action films of the 80’s, with one or two amusing subversions of the cliches.
7/10

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Watched this on Disney+ today and had a lot of fun with it. The lead pairing works a treat, and there's a spot on balance of comedy and action.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom