1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuart Robinson

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by philmate, Mar 12, 2001.

1. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes they are vinyl wrapped but what I did was... first experimenting on the back, was to sand lightly with fine sand paper then wire wool(mask off the drivers as the wire wool will stick to them) and then apply a wood dye, my preference was Ronsons Indian rosewood, 4/5 coats which gave a dark teakish colur and brought the grain out nicely.You do not have to remove all the veneer just a good rub to key the surface.
    Just seen your thread.
    Philmate.

------------------

2. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philmate,

"Yes they are vinyl wrapped but what I did was... first experimenting on the back, was to sand lightly with fine sand paper then wire wool(mask off the drivers as the wire wool will stick to them) and then apply a wood dye, my preference was Ronsons Indian rosewood, 4/5 coats which gave a dark teakish colur and brought the grain out nicely.You do not have to remove all the veneer just a good rub to key the surface."

OK, sounds interesting, but still a little puzzling. I wouldn't have thought one could rub down vinyl (or do you mean rub off?) or bring out the grain with stain, but then I've never actually tried it. Maybe we should suggest to Eltax that they introduce a choice of coloured finishes.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

3. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As I said, just rub down, you do not have to go through the vinyl for the stain(very watery) to penetrate and give a very satisfying results. As for the grain it may not "bring it out" but works with the shades which in turn gives them a more classy look, they also appear smaller as they blend with the decor now.
    Philmate.

------------------
    "Beware the Wok child"