Struggling with the best 4.1 Configuration

Pete-L

Standard Member
Hello,

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me get the best configuration for my system. Currently the voices in DVD/Bluray are far to quiet compared to the music and background noice in a movie etc

My config is

Onkyo TX-SR606 (HDMI for Picture and TOS for Audio) from my HTPC, the speakers are 2x B&W 602, 2x B&W 601 and a Rel Quake (which is barely on)

I have installed Power DVD 9 Ultra, Windows 7 Ultimate and set everything I can find to 4.1. If anyone has any idea of how to get the best setup for this equipment I would be very grateful!!

Cheers,
Pete

jameson_uk

Onkyo TX-SR606 (HDMI for Picture and TOS for Audio) from my HTPC, the speakers are 2x B&W 602, 2x B&W 601 and a Rel Quake (which is barely on)

I have installed Power DVD 9 Ultra, Windows 7 Ultimate and set everything I can find to 4.1. If anyone has any idea of how to get the best setup for this equipment I would be very grateful!!
My first answer would be get a center speaker... I am assuming your speaker setup is Front L/R and Rear L/R ? With any film all the dialogue is going to be coming out the center channel and if this is missing you are going to struggle to get it back.

Not sure how your amp copes with only 4.1? Is is sending the center channel to both L/R speakers? (see if you have a DD setup thing on one of your DVDs which outputs each channel one at a time in DD and this should help you tell if the centre channel is being heard through L/R or whether it is just being dropped)

lmaolmao

Hello,

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me get the best configuration for my system. Currently the voices in DVD/Bluray are far to quiet compared to the music and background noice in a movie etc

My config is

Cheers,
Pete

If you go into the 606 audio setup you can tell it you dont have a centre speaker. it will then sort itself out.

i have a couple ideas software wise, but if you sort out your 606 setup first, it may be as simple as that.

edit - page 72 in the manual

press SETUP on the remote -> 2. Speaker Setup -> 2. Speake COnfiguration -> then press down till you get to centre and set it as "none".

then set your audio to SPDIF/Toslink/Optical instead of 4.1

Last edited:

Pete-L

Standard Member
Ive been thinking about getting a centre speaker but just need to save a bit of cash first.

On the 606 i've disabled the centre speaker, when you say select the TOS/Optical rather than teh 4.1, where do I need to do that, in Power DVD or Creative software? I meant to say the sound card is the Creative XFi Titanium

Cheers,

lmaolmao

Ive been thinking about getting a centre speaker but just need to save a bit of cash first.

On the 606 i've disabled the centre speaker, when you say select the TOS/Optical rather than teh 4.1, where do I need to do that, in Power DVD or Creative software? I meant to say the sound card is the Creative XFi Titanium

Cheers,

try selecting it in Power DVD. I'm not familiar with the creative stuff but i would imagine doing it in power dvd would be enough.

the idea I've been running on is - if the amp is recieving 5.1 and knows it doesnt have a centre, it will do it's own mixing of centre to left anf right.

Pete-L

Standard Member
Hmm, ive tried selecting that option in power dvd, unfortunatly it doesnt output any sound and causes the video to become very jumpy etc. I take it I should have my 606 on the DTS setting rather than Neo or any of the others?

lmaolmao

Hmm, ive tried selecting that option in power dvd, unfortunatly it doesnt output any sound and causes the video to become very jumpy etc. I take it I should have my 606 on the DTS setting rather than Neo or any of the others?

yep, that's right.

do you have a soundcard built into your motherboard? i have found my onboard easy to get DD/DTS working than my standalone ones.

what's your 4.1 setup like with a dvd player connected with optical?

because if you get DD/DTS passthrough, it will sound like that. if not I can try to talk you through getting a software solution.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
I would set the PC to 5.1 and let the amp sort out the centre channel. That's how I have my HTPC and Yamaha set up and it sounds great.

Pete-L

Standard Member
lmaolmao - I dont have a standalone dvd player, I just have used my PC that has a dedicated card but there is no optical onboard as its a micro atx board.

I'll check to see if DD/DTS is being passed through and also try setting everything to 5.1 to see if the onkyo sorts out the centre

lmaolmao

let us know how it goes. we all know how frustrating it can be to get a htpc going how you want.

i would suggest downloading "XBMC" from here - http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/xbmc-r27007-trunk.exe

i'm not trying to convert you, but using software like this (where all codecs are stored internally and wont affect the rest of your system) can be a great diagnostic tool.

once you install it browse to system, then system, then "audio output", change it so it says:

audio output: Digital
AC3 : checked
DTS : checked
audio output device: you'll either have to tell me all the options or look for "creative digital output" (something along those lines)
downmix : unchecked

then pop in a dvd and see how it plays (or browse to media on your hdd)

it's up to you to try or not, either way let us know.

Pete-L

Standard Member
I tried that xbmc but it wouldnt play things for some reason.

I did however turn on SVM in creatives options which seems to have helped a bit -

"SVM On - SVM Monitors and controls the dynamic range of sound volume. When enabled, it limits the differences between the loudest and softest passaages of songs in order to avoid large volume fluctuations during playback"

Do you guys have a good DVD for making sure 5.1 is working? Or is there a 5.1 test DVD out there with DTS, HD etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom