Struggling with size and or quality, limited choices making it frustrating.

CSB123

Standard Member
Hi All,

like most, i am overwhelmed at the choices, although i enjoy home theater and have a decent modest set up audio wise (Yamaha 870 with Klipsch reference range 7.1), i am needing to upgrade my TV. I am sure my receiver in the near future too.

I have read through all the guides, thank you to all involved, they extremely useful.

I have a hisense currently, around 3-4 years old, entry tier, 65” but picking up issues with random snowy pictures and green banding around the edges and corners of the screen.

We recently moved to a much bigger house, and now my lounge area, the minimum distance i can rearrange furniture is around 3-4m (10-13ft) from the screen.

All of a sudden the 65” isn’t as impressive either.

My use case, and lighting conditions :

• its a very well lit room, although we have blinds, there is still some light that will bleed in.
  • most times we view TV with the Down lights on, although set to low Brightness.
  • we watch mostly TV series and movies occasionally, sports maybe 2-4 x a month , all via streaming services (Netflix, Apple TV + and Prime) and we don’t watch any Cable tv, or news.
  • Next gen gaming is very important as i own the xbox series x and plan on adding a PS5 when available.
  • we are heavily invested in the apple ecosystem, if that has any importance.

Obviously i want to make a step up, in all areas. So i have been looking around, based on the recommendations. Sony is only now trickling into the country, i live in South Africa. Samsung widely available as is LG, but not all models in all sizes. This is proving very frustrating.

Taking budget and availability locally i have narrowed it down to :

• LG-CX OLED - but can only find in 65” locally and cannot afford the 77 GX at double the current price of the 65 cx, as always, the image quality is exceptional.
  • Samsung Q80T - 75” cant find bigger, but at least a step up Size wise.
  • Samsung q70t in 85” but fails all the other “wants”
  • Lg Nano90 86 “ Fits the size bill, all gaming “wants”, but has fallen short in every review i have read and seen, so this is a major disappointment.

From reading all the guides on LCD VS OLED, and best TV for gaming. It seems to always fall between the LG/Samsung battle.

i am leaning towards the 75” Samsung Q80t as its at least a bit bigger (i would have preferred an 85”) even with 1 x 2.1 HDMI input, this isn’t a major deal breaker, as i am sure we not going to be seeing the majority of games sporting 120fps. Being LCD VA it also handles the mixed light better.

The LG OLED, well I don’t think enough praise can be heaped on how gorgeous the visuals are. But i fear buyers remorse with the size, mainly. And possibly the lit environment i am in doesn’t quite harness the potential of the OLED.

Do you feel the 75 will be adequate at my viewing distance ?
is the Q80T a suitable upgrade ?

Should i not throw the OLED to the wayside too quickly because of only being 65”? And maybe sacrifice size for quality.

I truly want a step up, if i could find a Q80T in 85’ i think all problems would be sorted, but alas cannot find.

I wish we had a larger selection of the sony options, but i think that is going to take awhile till we have their upper tier ranges. I also wish we had more options regarding the larger 85 inch Samsungs, they only seem to stock entry to mid tier in that size, and then the really expensive 8k models which don’t interest me, nor are they remotely within budget lol.

Dodgexander

From Samsung's website in South Africa it looks like you get the North American Q80T which will mean you do get the better anti glare filter. The TV doesn't really get too bright for HDR standards on an LCD TV though, so some HDR content may be too dim, especially if your room has moderate lighting.

Is there no Sony X950H (also sold as XH9505 or XH9500 in different markets) or higher tier Samsung Q90T / Q95T? Those will make less compromises with HDR.

As for size, I'd say go with the biggest TV you can, but not for the sake of losing HDR performance, HDR is a big part of streaming now, and gaming too. As you say the 86" LG would be nice, but its just not a good TV if you plan to use HDR. The biggest TVs that don't sacrifice HDR performance would be the 85/75" Sony X950H or 75" Q90T, the 85/75" Q80T would probably be okay as long as you don't mind controlling lighting more with HDR...but I'm not sure I'd personally be confident investing so much in a TV that only reaches around 700 nits when it falls short by 300 from the generally recommended baseline and 500 short of the top tier LCDs.

EDIT*
About Apple stuff. LG, Samsung, Sony all have Apple streaming apps to watch iTunes purchases or Apple+ subscription streams. Samsung, Sony and LG have Airplay 2 for casting. LG and Sony have homekit support to integrate with apple's smart home solution.

Last edited:

CSB123

Standard Member
If I'm spending major $ on a tv, I wouldn't settle. Get the size and model you want from an online vendor.

I am looking, but not used to ordering online, the local online don’t seem to be showing up any results.

From Samsung's website in South Africa it looks like you get the North American Q80T which will mean you do get the better anti glare filter. The TV doesn't really get too bright for HDR standards on an LCD TV though, so some HDR content may be too dim, especially if your room has moderate lighting.

Is there no Sony X950H (also sold as XH9505 or XH9500 in different markets) or higher tier Samsung Q90T / Q95T? Those will make less compromises with HDR.

As for size, I'd say go with the biggest TV you can, but not for the sake of losing HDR performance, HDR is a big part of streaming now, and gaming too. As you say the 86" LG would be nice, but its just not a good TV if you plan to use HDR. The biggest TVs that don't sacrifice HDR performance would be the Sony X950H or Q90T, the Q80T would probably be okay as long as you don't mind controlling lighting more with HDR.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and as mentioned your guides have helped immensely.

That’s good news on the Q80T. The only Sony’s i can see are the KD-9000 range in 75”, the rest are all lower down in the range.

On the Samsung front, they pushing hard to the 8K range, so the only one above the 80T i can see is the Q95T , it is about 50% more in price and also restricted to 75” in this case.

If i do a straight conversion currency wise, looking at 2000 pounds (Q80T) vs 3350 pounds (Q95T) both are 75” in size.

I am leaning strongly to the Q80t based off the reviews only, in store it’s impossible, they push the worst standard definition satellite TV pictures to the Samsung’s, and the best to the LG Nano. Cleverly placing the 75” next to the impressive 86” Nano. If I hadn’t read the reviews and your comparisons, I would be sitting with a nano right now and a ton of buyers remorse.

Dodgexander

Yeah that pricing is ridiculous. Makes sense to get the Q80T then. I think pricing must be because of poorer local availability, its something thats pretty common in Europe on larger models in particular too. Thanks, yeah there's a few owners of the Nano series I've seen unhappy, in my opinion their TVs are a long way behind the competition nowadays.

CSB123

Standard Member
Yeah that pricing is ridiculous. Makes sense to get the Q80T then. I think pricing must be because of poorer local availability, its something thats pretty common in Europe on larger models in particular too. Thanks, yeah there's a few owners of the Nano series I've seen unhappy, in my opinion their TVs are a long way behind the competition nowadays.

Appreciate it, i think the 80t at 75 inches seems the right choice for now, price is ok, suites my viewing environment and will have some one calibrate it if needed.

slight compromise on size but at least a wee bit bigger than the 65,but not the 85 i was after, but not as much as the CX, LCD suites my viewing conditions better.

Disappointed on no Dolby Vision, but suspect that’s not a major issue for the next few years at least.

CSB123

Standard Member
Bought, delivered and installed.

Fantastic TV so far, immediate noticeable improvement over older hisense entry level, gaming huge improvement, now to play around and follow your suggested set up.

Again thank you for the advice, and helping make a decent choice So quickly.

Now to go see about that Denon 3700 to replace the aging Yamaha 870 receiver.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'll delete my reply then 😃

That's a quick turn around! Nice one.

I little bit of me still wishes I went for the 85" XH90 over the 65" CX... Ah well still got a good telly!

CSB123

Standard Member
I'll delete my reply then 😃

That's a quick turn around! Nice one.

I little bit of me still wishes I went for the 85" XH90 over the 65" CX... Ah well still got a good telly!

I reaaallly was in awe of the 85” but when we put the 65 next to the 75, it was a substantial difference, so that sealed it for me today, i have been researching and reading / watching review after review before posting here.

An 85 of decent quality is just out of reach for me budget wise, or what is available to me. The Sony’s are months away, other than the very entry level stuff, and i cant wait that long.

The OLED was right up there, till i had to be honest with myself, and my use case is almost always with some light, so a lot would be wasted on me, and my viewing distance makes it even less viable.

If only the NANO lived up to the hype, man that would have been the absolute sweet spot.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom