Struggling with MusicCast not seeing Plex or music library [SOLVED]

mrodent

Novice Member
I have had this MusicCast on my phone for some time.

In the past, using Windows10, I have managed to use it to stream music to my Yamaha MusicCast-enabled receiver.

I'm posing these questions after having spent the whole day trying to solve this. I have tried multiple permutations, re-installed MusicCast, etc. etc.

I think that in the past I have done this streaming to my Yamaha receiver by using Plex Media Server (installed on my W10 machine). But I can't get that working currently (although Plex can be seen by other devices and apps in my Wifi network). That is my first question: why can't my MusicCast app just "see" my Plex broadcasting thing/entity/whatever? In the past, according to my notes, the word "Plex" has just appeared under Sources --> Server. Not currently.

Then I found this page How to Stream Music from Your Computer - supposedly you should be able to stream things from your computer without using Plex. I followed that. It doesn't work.

The only thing that appears when I go (on my phone, using the MusicCast app) to Sources --> Server is "Technicolor DLNA Server". My Wifi router is a Technicolor machine, so I assume it is referring to that. When I click that it always fails after a while with "Access error".

Meanwhile, when I try to go Settings --> Connect --> Add New Device, I get, after about 10s, the most baffling thing of all: a message saying this:

"Select MusicCastSetup
Please go to your Android Wi-Fi settings and select the "MusicCastSetup" network and then return to the MusicCast app. When prompted, enter 12345678 for "MusicCastSetup" password"

Naturally, when I go to my Wifi networks, there is no such network. When I try to add one "manually" (feeling rather silly), it unsurprisingly disappears the minute I enter it. Since, er, there is no such network.

Second question: any more sources of info about how to get MusicCast to just grab a library of files directly?

vacant

It sounds like you've switched your receiver to "direct connect" wifi network, you need to switch it back to your Lan wifi network.

vacant

Not sure about your second question: I have a 64GB music collection on a microSD card currently in my tablet, when I run the Musiccast app I select "On this Device" (or "On this phone" if the card is in my phone) and tracks get streamed to the receiver, including HiRes FLACS.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It sounds like you've switched your receiver to "direct connect" wifi network, you need to switch it back to your Lan wifi network.
There's no such network option on Yamaha AV receivers. There is however a WIRED or WIRELESS option. If you've not got an ethernet connection from the AV receiver to your router then you'd want it set to WIRELESS.

The AV receiver would be able to access anything on your LAN or WAN via either a wited or a wireless connection to the router.

MThe AV receiver's MusicCast capabilities are not reserved to its wifi networking.

Has the OP actually set up Windows file sharing on the host PC? May look at using a different third party DLNA uPnP server application on that PC?

I've used Serviio aon an Apple Mac and onboard my cuurent NAS and I've had no issues accessing music files stored on either. I'm currently using my QNAP NAS's own intefral media server for DLNA duties and again, I'm happilly able to access music files stored on the NAS using mu Yamaha A1080 which is hardwired to my router. I can also access the files via my iPad or iPhone using the MusicCast app and play said files back via the AV receiver.

I can only suggest that the OP's problem is one related to his use of a Windows PC and is more than likely due to a pecularity with Windows and file sharing?

All I need do is select SERVER via the MusicCast source window.and my NAS shows up on the right hand side of the iPad window. Sellect this and I can browse all the files shored within my multimedia library on that NAS.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The OP had a pre existing thread discussing a very similar issue here:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Have you actually configured the PLEX serrver to function as a DLNA server?

dante01

Distinguished Member
No idea as to whether or not the OP has read this:

It will show you how to activate media sharing on your PC if this is the issue?

This relates to PLEX, but is targetted at MacOS users:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Personally, I'd more than likely suspect it to be another firewall issue and the fact that the MusicCast app is referencing your router kind of suggests this to be the case?

mrodent

Novice Member
@dante01. It is sometimes good to read (all) the question: as I mention in the question, I found that very page a propos of which you say "No idea as to whether the OP has read this". This does not work.

Secondly, the fact that you found a post from me from 2019 about firewalls (in fact using Linux there, whereas this question is about W10) is if anything likely to indicate that this has already been on my checklist. Indeed, not only does the W10 firewall show that all the Plex processes are allowed through, but also I am in fact able to pick up the Plex "broadcast" on my mobile phone (Android) using the Plex TV app (and play tracks from my music library). MusicCast nonetheless does not show "Plex" as a possible server.

Thirdly, you ask whether I have configured the Plex server to function as a DLNA server. Yes, that box is ticked (and, as stated, the mobile phone picks things up...).

Looks like I may have to try another DLNA server... but my suspicion is that the problem lies with the MusicCast app, which increasingly seems (from evidence from other posts and forums) to be rather flaky and substandard.

For example, you are supposed to be able to add a "new device". I clicked "Add new device"... got a spinner for about 20 s. Then a puzzling new load of nonsense:
"Select MusicCastSetup
Please go to your Android Wi-Fi settings and select the "MusicCastSetup" network and then return to the MusicCast app. When prompted, enter 12345678 for "MusicCastSetup" password"

... there is of course no such network.

mrodent

Novice Member
Just for anyone struggling with this issue, I reinstalled Plex on W10 yesterday. Today, when I opened the MusicCast app, there were 3 entries under "Server", not just one, and one of them was... Plex!

I could play music from my MP3 library through my Yamaha instantly, using MusicCast.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom