Struggling with a centre speaker....whats really sings?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Grayman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Im still struggling with choosing a centre speaker, and am looking for one that will really sing and make my system stand out a bit more.

My current Mordaunt Short Alumni is very good, but with Mission E34's either side I feel I need something with more powerful voicing and something that will really lift a movie soundtrack.

When people say the centre does 60% of the sound, does that include the background music, sound effects etc or would those be seperated out to the front L/R, and they mean 60% of the vocals?

If its the latter then I need to make some room for a bigger centre. Could probably squeeze 16cm height under there, depth and width are flexable. If that isnt enough to get something that'll do what im looking for, then I suppose I could look at mounting it above the (wall mounted) TV to allow more height, but would really rather not.

So with a budget of up to £250, what would people recommend to make a good sound from my centre into an amazing sound? Ive tried to find a Mission E3C to match the fron L/R but have had no luck, so looking for something that can tonally match in with an existing system as well as possible.

M3C1i is still an option, and a member here has recommended it but am unable to find any solid reviews on it, and I want to look at some alternatives.

2. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Although from a different manufacturer the Kef IQ60C is a superb speaker & IMO will not sound out of ballance with your existing, it really conveys the centre channel exceptionaly well wherever you sit, it can be had from Sevenoaks for £250 direct from Kef.:)

3. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks, that looks like a really nice centre, and I should be able to just squeeze that under the telly, certainly one to add to the list.

4. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Been doing a bit more research, and around the £250 mark and at an absolute stretch with height (actually about 1cm too high, but im sure I can make it fit somehow) there look to be some interesting choices:

1. Kef IQ60c - on budget and should fit height wise

2. Mission 79C - over budget by about £40, but would fit in as a all Mission front speakers system, looks excellent but slightly taller than I wanted and slightly more expensive, but I suppose things can be stretched and sledgehammered as far as cost and fit goes if it would prove much better than the KEF.

3. B&W HTM62 - dont know much about B&W apart from they are recognised as very good quality. not sure how it'd match up with the Mission E34 fronts, but could always try it I suppose. Slightly taller than ideal but bang on budget.

4. Monitor Audio Bronze centre LCR - well under budget but looks good, is this a decent centre??? Only problem is it is 6Ohm whereas my amp and other speakers are 8.

Given the above shortlist, anyone have any real pointers?

Cheers

5. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042

If you have a local independent dealer,ask if you can try one in your own home.

They'll all sound different,the last thing you need is sibillance.

6. eL-ZilCHo!

eL-ZilCHo!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'd go for the matching centre to your mains. Mission E3c or whatever its called. Not sure on the cost or size of it, so I'm not sure if its fits your criteria in those terms.

It will likely sound a lot better overall than any of the others. I ran a mismatched centre for a while and was quite happy. Upon getting a set-up with a matching centre I realised why it is said to be so important.

The discrepency in sound your hearing could be matching issue rather than inherent quality problem with your current centre.

7. RPT

RPT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    id go for the m3c2i, its got a better frequency response and throws out 9.7 litres of sound, should be more than adequate for you system, and the center speaker in a 5.1 setup should only be playing the vocals, unless youre listening to pro logic or a dsp signal. you will sometimes get other vocals moving around, if the camera pans for example. but mostly its just from the center.

8. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That was one thing I was wondering, when people say the centre does 60% of the work in a surround system I assumed it was music, vocals, sound effects etc and to get a BIG sound you eneded a really powerful centre to make that 60% count.

If it is mainly vocals then Ill probably get something Mission to match, the M3c2i is more powerful/bigger than the MS I have, which although very good may not be powerful enough for my needs.

Ultimately I want a big strong sounding surround, which my fronts and subwoofer provide, just want the centre to do the same and Ill be happy.

Thanks for the advice.

PS: I will still probably get ato a sevenoaks sound to try out the KEF and B&W, but just to satusfy my curiousity. Obvious issue is they wont have Missions to try against so auditioning in this case would only work if I could take them home.

9. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Id love to get the E3C matching speaker but cannot find one anywhere, so Id be getting a Mission from a different range, im unsure whetehr this would make it as unmatched as a speaker from a different manufacturer entirely, so am not sure whether to try and stay with mission or just go all out and get a superb centre like the KEF and hope it matches well enough.

Wish id snapped up an E3C when they were available, but now will have to try and match it as best as possible.

10. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Just a thought - have you tried NO centre speaker? Works for some.

11. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    So all vocals are emitted by the front L/R? suppsoe I could give it a go, reclibrate my amp with the current centre disconnected and see what it's like, but cant imagine it'd be as good as with a centre.

12. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Obviously you need to hear what they sound like but I honestly feel you would not be unhappy with the Kef, it sounds so natural on vocals it's like they are in the room with you. I have the earlier IQ6C & this was too large to fit with all the other stuff under the TV so I make an MDF Shelf/Bracket which screws to the Vesa Mountings on the back of the TV & the speaker now sits slightly angled downwards on the top of the panel, looks & sounds great! :)

13. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks all for your help and advice, ive gone with a Mission MV-C from superfi, which uses the Mission aramid polymer fibre drivers, which are what my E34's use as well (E34's are obviously bigger). MISSION MVC CENTRE SPEAKER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4199 for details

I called Sevenoaks and spoke to one of the chaps there and he said even with something as good as the Kef there wouild be troughs and peaks in the sound and unless I matched it up with Kef speakers with Q-drive it would never perform to its potential. He reconed id be best off matching driver types.

That's when I found the MV-C, the M3C1/2's use a different type of driver so wouldnt have matched either.

Looking forward to getting it now and seeing what a well matched set sounds like. Chap at 7oaks also said Mission had gone under, that's why there was so few models still available, bit of a pain as I bought Mission as I thought they were one of the stable mid range speaker manufacturers.

14. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    :smashin::)