1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with 100 Meg network connection

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jlcrawford, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have built a couple of new pcs and ran cat5e cable to my linksys wireless router with 4port switch.
    I can get one of the pcs to connect at 100 meg full duplex yet the other fails and only gets 10 meg.I guess the 10 meg pc has around a 30-40m cable run whereas the 100 probably around 15m.However I have an extension cable which if I put in line with the 100 meg taking it to at least 25m I still get 100meg.
    I have done a second and third run of the long lead ( I make my own patch leads yet still only get 10meg.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a length restriction or should I buy some cat 6 cable or maybe a premade lead?
    TIA

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    cat 5 will run happily at up to 110m, sounds like you may have a bad termination on one of your leads..

are the driver setings the same on both cards ?

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    is the long run running parallel with any power cables at any point ?

even a couple of inches alongside a mains cable will stuff networking completely..

you can cross power cables as many times as you want, but NEVER run parallel to them.. at least a couple of feet speration is required if so..

4. big@l

big@l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you run the diag for the network card? it may be set to 10 Meg.

5. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow
    Looks like I may have to do some shuffling of the lead- it may be neara power cable.The systems both use a Asus mobo with on board 1gig ethernet I presume drivers are the same - though my laptop has an ethernet and doesnt like the 100meg connection either.
    I will try reterminating the cable and moving about a bit to see if it is the power but would that not stop the 10meg connection as well?

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    if there's any kind of noise on the cable and the card's set to 'autosense' it may well be dropping back to 10mb as it can still operate at this speed
    ( If you sat and watched the lan connection on the 10mb PC, you may even notice it switching between 10mb and 100mb, this would then be a dead giveaway of a cabling problem such as electrical interference)

reliable 100TX requires a very clean signal generally, even things as daft as temperature can stop a cat 5 cable run from operating properly..

If you're happy that the terminations are OK ( which looks the case if you've re-cabled already), I'd be fairly certain it's a problem with the routing of the cable..
    You're well within CAT5 capabilities length-wise, it can only be termination or routing as I see it..

did you check the card settings? some cards (drivers) don't autosense very well..
    try setting the card to 100 Full Duplex, if that fails, try 100 half duplex, then 10 full, then 10 half and see what connection you can get.. this will give a good indicator as to the nature of the problem...

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    out of interest what wire spec are you terminating to ?

the pairs of wires have varying numbers of twists in them to eliminate crosstalk between the pairs..

the correct wire map is:

1 White/orange
    2 Orange
    3 White/green
    4 Blue
    5 white/blue
    6 green
    7 white/brown
    8 brown

both ends should be terminated to this standard if you're using a hub/switch..

8. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr Dude
    I have actually never realised about the termination @spec @ and always just ran Blue Brown Green Orange with their whites in between.I have moved the cable so it is pretty isolated apart from where it enters the PC.Now is it also important which end I start from ie which pat of the RJ45 connector is 1 - I usually start with the Blue on the left of the connector whilst having the metal connectors facing me and the securing clip facing away.
    Looks like I will be reterminating again and Thanks
    ps I have tried all configs of 100 full/half and 10 full it connects at 100 but I get no received packets only sent.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    It's not always important, but whenever you're troubleshooting using the proper wiremap is a good place to start..

As you say, with metal pins on top (facing you) and end of cable pointing away from you, Pin 1 is the left hand pin..

I'd try this first, you may be in for a pleasant suprise ;)

The active pins are 1+2 (transmit pair) and 3+6 (recieve pair)

with the wiremap you've been using the recieve pair is using

BROWN + White/Green, whereas it should be White/Green + Green

make sense?

you transmit OK at 100 because you have the Blue pair in Pins 1+2, but you don't get good enough recieve signal because of noise leaking into the (un-paired) recieve conductors...

10. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pleasantly surprised 100meg operational.
    Many thanks Dude for your expertise in this matter now I'm kicking myself for not asking earlier as I had cat5 cable then bought cat5e and reran the problem connection.So I've wasted about 6 hours and ~40 quid .
    But it all seems worth it now
    Cheers

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    glad to help Jeff..

As you're partial to a bit of tinkering your 'spare' cat5 would make for an interesting speaker cable project..

from your experience you can see how sensitive data networking is..
    due to the nature of the beast, the cable itself has to be rather good quality ;)

you could try using each pair as a conductor for bi-wiring or something similar..

12. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I have made some cables, and they perform as well as my QED silver cables. I used a recipe from www.tnt-audio.com

Cheers

Rob