• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Struggling to find a Stand/Unit that meets my requirements.....

chipstix24

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm struggling to find a TV stand/hifi cabinet/unit that fits my requirements. Wondering if anyone here has any ideas...

1) The key thing is that the top surface that my 40" LCD TV [Samsung LE40C530] sits on must be around 800mm. The reason is that otherwise the lower right hand corner of the screen will be obscured by a nearby sofa.

2) Other dimensions are less critical, as long as is it deep enough for my Pioneer VSX-D812 (>400mm)

3) I'm not too worried about number of shelves etc, in fact if it was just an open space inside I would stack

VSX-D812 on the bottom, Sony BDP-S373 player on top of that, then Humax FoxSat HDR, then YouView box and finally on top the KEF 2005 'Egg' centre speaker, in landscape direction. This would all comfortably fit inside the 800mm anyway.

4) Finally, the unit must have doors that allow Infra-Red to pass. Either glass, smoked glass or fabric. If glass, then probably a shelf for the centre channel to sit on otherwise it will block the sound. I have a 7month old daughter that is getting more mobile every day and I want to avoid her stuffing things into the equipment!

Given the above constraints, I am pretty open to the style and materials. Our lounge is fairly modern, but we do have wood furniture (john lewis stowaway range)

Any ideas gratefully received.

If I can't find anything off-the-shelf, then a reasonable value made-to-measure recommendation could be useful. I am in Sussex, but further afield could work.

Thanks, Chipstix.

JGS Young

Standard Member
Hi Chipstix24,
I can recommend this one from Currys, Buy OPTIMUM OPTIMUM OCEGREY | Free Delivery | Currys. Looks like it meets all your requirements. It features a glass front which is a perfect for anti kid protection and would be deep enough for your Pioneer. I bought this about 3 months ago and have a light oak floor, white walls and a fairly modern interior; it blends well. Or just had a quick browse and this may be better if you are after something more traditional: https://www.oakfurnituresolutions.co.uk/p/9626/New_England_Ash_TV_Corner_Unit_with_Glass_Doors.html

chipstix24

Standard Member
Cheers guys,

@JGS thanks for the links, but both of those units are too low. This is the main difficulty I had finding something is the need for it to be 800mm height.

@Kalimon, cheers - I've saved that link for future as it looks like a handy bespoke service.

In the end, I decided to think 'outside the box' so to speak. I realised my existing cabinet was wide enough, perfect height, could fit all my stuff in, and was free (cos I already owned it!)

....only problem was that it wasn't deep enough, so I borrowed a friend's jigsaw and cut a nice big hole in the back for it all to overhand a little (and leave plenty of ventilation).

Medium-term plan is to get one of these...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/INVISIBLE-C...UTF8&colid=1JBFNR93JUEZN&coliid=IQBF89KA4WQRD

once I can convince the missus that it's worth spending £60 to save opening and closing the doors!

-Chipstix

JGS Young

Standard Member
Glad we could help a bit Chipstix, well done for coming up with a solution and thinking well and truly outside the box.

oobster

Established Member

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom