Struggling to decide

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by boylucifer, Nov 23, 2017.

1. boylucifer

boylucifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    In a bit of a quandary on what TV to choose, I have a 4.5yr old LG 55” that has started to suffer a bit from image retention and quite fancy a new TV as the image retention is especially bad when playing PS4 (pro). In my head I am down to the following options with the expectations of how long I’d be happy with each option. The only concern I have is that I really quite fancy the size increase to 65” and worry I would regret going for a 55”. Absolute top of budget is £1500 and it should be available from Currys. TV usage will be PS4 Pro and Sky Q, I have a Sonos Playbar so sound is not a massive concern, though mounting the soundbar to the TV is a concern.

Options:
    1. Cheaper 55” that will be good for 2-3 years (£700-£800)
    2. More expensive 55” that will be good for 5 years (£1500) - probably LG OLED
    3. Mid range 65” that will be probably 3-4/5 years (£1000-£1400)

Chucking it out there for the thoughts of the forum.

2. Ash x

Ash x
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same predicament here, I'm leaning towards mid range 65" and then 65" OLED in a few years when price drops.

the LG 55 OLED are an amazing deal right no, but i need a 65" for the distance we sit. I read somewhere, get the biggest TV that will fit, otherwise you will always think, i should have gone bigger.

3. boylucifer

boylucifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I don’t need a 65”, and to be fair I am not even completely sure on how it will fit, but if I buy one I’ll make it work.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    The problem is HDR. You have a PS4 pro so I assume you will be playing HDR titles and wanting to them to look good?

If so you can't go for the 65" option on current pricing.

Your options will be:
    A. LG OLED now.
    B. Wait until clearance sales in spring and hope the Sony 65XE9005 comes closer to £1500.

Of course the LG is the far, far better performer. I would rate it as "good" with HDR compared to the Sony LCD being "decent".

If you can control your viewing distances to view closer then I see no harm in going for the smaller model with better HDR.

But there is also no harm fogoing some quality overall going for larger size. I would however not buy at 65" now in that budget as unless you can afford the 65XE9005 you cannot get a model that will do at least a decent job with HDR.

5. boylucifer

boylucifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the reply @Dodgexander. I’ve set £1500 as a definite hard limit for myself so the Sony is beyond that limit.
    You’re making me really sway on what is the right option now as I had started to sway toward giving up the better HDR for the bigger size.

6. pompeysteve

pompeysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Would you not recommend the Samsung QE65Q8F for HDR then? Going for £1799 at the moment (which I accept is above OPs £1500 limit, but not waaaay over ! )

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    @pompeysteve do you have a link for that price please? I think you are looking at the 55" price.

Besides, Sony XE90 and XE93 are both better TVs overall than the QLEDs.

8. boylucifer

boylucifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Currys offer of additional 10% off the B7 OLED made me pull the trigger on the 55”.
    I felt I’d regret not going for the better picture more than I’d regret not going for an extra few inches. We have a 55” TV at the moment and I can say honestly that I’ve never felt it was too small.

9. pompeysteve

pompeysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Sorry, didn't get an email notification for your reply. The offer was from a few outlets and also included a soundbar.

Crampton & Moore
    Samsung QE65Q8FAM 65 inch QLED Ultra HD Premium HDR 1500 Smart TV | Crampton and Moore

Hughes
    Reliant Direct

Not sure if the offer is still on, but was definitely the 65" model which I couldn't say no to. John Lewis also price matched Hughes just in case.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017