Strong screen retention on Pioneer

S

Stilgar

Hello,

I have very noticeable screen retention on a 2 year old Pioneer PDP-436RXE. The retention is located in the area of the black bands when a widescreen image is displayed.

A picture makes this clear:

balck_bands.jpg

The same retention is visible at the bottom of the screen.

My contrast has always been 30, and all other settings are in the middle. Dynamic contrast has been on for a long time, but is off now.

I've read the FAQ for this televion on the forum and displayed a snow signal for about 8 hours, but this had no effect at all.

Is there a way to fix this problem, or is this permanent burn-in?
A TV salesman told me that displaying a white screen for a few hours would do the trick, but I don't find much information about this methode and believe this could make matters worse ?

Advice is appreciated !

snow is the best answer, try another 8 hours

Hello,

I have very noticeable screen retention on a 2 year old Pioneer PDP-436RXE. The retention is located in the area of the black bands when a widescreen image is displayed.

A picture makes this clear:

balck_bands.jpg

The same retention is visible at the bottom of the screen.

My contrast has always been 30, and all other settings are in the middle. Dynamic contrast has been on for a long time, but is off now.

I've read the FAQ for this televion on the forum and displayed a snow signal for about 8 hours, but this had no effect at all.

Is there a way to fix this problem, or is this permanent burn-in?
A TV salesman told me that displaying a white screen for a few hours would do the trick, but I don't find much information about this methode and believe this could make matters worse ?

Advice is appreciated !

Yep, snow is a constantly moving picture so should be the best solution. I would guess that you watch a lot of anamorphic movies? This appears to be the result of the screen burn/retention. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted ;)

That's really bad. I've got a 435 and watch a lot of 2:35 movies on it and I've never had that. Is that all you normally watch and has this been a gradual decline or did it just appear? (I'd have thought that if it was long term use that you'd have noticed it before now). Also, is it the same at the bottom of the picture as well (where the lower black areas would be?)

If I remember correctly, the 6 was especially notorious for retention susceptibility.

If I remember correctly, the 6 was especially notorious for retention susceptibility.

My 506XDE was a bit of a pain regarding retention :( you had to continually keep an eye of things .The 8th gen though :cool: you just don't even have to think about it :smashin: which is nice. :)

The retention has been there for about a year or so, and has gradually gotten worse. A lot of the channels I watch show anamorphic picture, so I did have the black bands quite a lot. A month ago I turned the autozoom on in the menu so that the screen is completely filled most of the time. The retention seems to be "stable" now.

It's a shame though, that an expensive pioneer screen has so much problems with screen retention. :thumbsdow

I did try the snow signal again, for 8 hours, but I really can't notice any difference.
Should I try an all-white screen for a few hours ?

I did try the snow signal again, for 8 hours, but I really can't notice any difference.
Should I try an all-white screen for a few hours ?

Your PDP has uneven wear, displaying all white screen will have no effect. Try displaying white widescreen bars for few hundred hours.

az9zk5.gif

Your PDP has uneven wear, displaying all white screen will have no effect. Try displaying white widescreen bars for few hundred hours.

az9zk5.gif

I agree, it's uneven pixel age... the one's in the middle are aged much more then the one in the top and bottom of the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom