Stripping an external drive for PS3

splinters69

Distinguished Member
I feel like upgrading my PS3 today to a 250GB drive (I have 80GB) even though it is only a month or so old. Can't get hold of a drive easily but my local PC world has 250GB external drives by Maxtor and WD for around £50. These seem to be the same price as OEM drives and I could use the enclosure and 80GB from the PS3 to get a spare portable drive.

Question though; anyone know what drives are in there and if they are suitable for PS3 upgrade? A quick look at Play's listing for these seems to show them both at 5400 RPB and SATA but other than that I have no idea.

Anyone upgraded this way?

They are the following:

WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB PORTABLE HARD DRIVE

Maxtor Basics - 250 GB Basics 2.5" External Hard Drive

Cheers.

cols

For around the same price you could get the 320gb WD, the WD3200BEVT.

The criteria for the drive are: 2.5", SATA, 5400rpm or 7200rpm, and 9.5mm thick, as per the hdd upgrade sticky.

If it meets the above, it should fit in the ps3. :smashin:

Last edited:

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Ordered the WD 320gb from Play for £47, seems the best for the job and I can wait a few days to do this.

Cheers.

tsjarlie

The criteria for the drive are: 2.5", SATA, 5400rpm or 7200rpm, and 9.5mm thick, as per the hdd upgrade sticky.

I upgraded my PS3 with the WD3200BEVT 5400rpm hddd at christmas and feel it's well worth upgrading the internal drive for the ps3.

You could always buy an enclosure for your old drive which you could then connect to your PS3 via USB.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member

I wouldn't recommend the 7200rpm option as this generates more heat as it spins faster not good for the PS3 internals as the fan and heat sinking don't cope with it as well.

cols

Yep - i'm just quoting the official criteria for the new drive if performing an upgrade.

Dan 800

Standard Member
I'm thinking of buying the 320gb internal hard drive from play for around £47 however i will use my original 40gb hdd as a back up so i need an enclosure can anyone recommend a good one for approx. £20 and under as the range on amazon tend to have mixed reviews. Thanks

james.miller

I wouldn't recommend the 7200rpm option as this generates more heat as it spins faster not good for the PS3 internals as the fan and heat sinking don't cope with it as well.

thats an old wives tale. I cant find a single post by anybody saying their ps3 didnt cope with a 7200rpm drive. They dont run that much hotter lol

cols

I'm thinking of buying the 320gb internal hard drive from play for around £47 however i will use my original 40gb hdd as a back up so i need an enclosure can anyone recommend a good one for approx. £20 and under as the range on amazon tend to have mixed reviews. Thanks

i use an omata one for my old 40gb drive. Got it from amazon, no problems with it at all. :smashin:

Numptycodhead

I stuck my old PS3 80GB in one of these: kenable - for cables, networking and peripherals
I got an Icy Box as I'd seen the name on the forums. I've never had any others to compare it to, but seems to do the job OK...

And don't expect a fancy box with your WD from Play. My WD3200BEVT does the job well, but I was expecting nice retail packaging. Spot the novice :D.
Better for the environment I guess, to offset my big fat COD footprint.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom