Stripped Allen key help

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Really frustrating. Trying to get the last bolt off my scooter so I can replace an inner tube and it just won’t go

someone said try a torx. Will that work ?

Attachments

• E80F96F5-78CB-447C-A2EF-C51126A1E92F.jpeg
    E80F96F5-78CB-447C-A2EF-C51126A1E92F.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 381
Torx might work. One other approach I've previously used is get a flat head screwdriver that's fractionally bigger than the worn hole, and tap it with a hammer to help it get a grip into the worn head - if you're lucky it will grip enough to loosen the bolt.

Might be able to hammer a Torx T25 or T20 into the head and force it.

Another option if above fails, but cause some damage as its sunk in the plastic, would be to use a dremel or similar with a cutting wheel to cut slot in head for flat screwdriver, can't use heat as plastic it looks like surround to.

Flat head screwdriver and knock it in (gently) with a hammer.

Use sudden, jerky force to "snap" the bolt loose - as if you were tapping the end of the allen key with a hammer. This usually breaks the tension better than applying lots of continuous force.

+1 for @noiseboy72

That’s been one of the approaches I always turn to. Jam a flat screwdriver into the opposite points of the hex.

Another trick is to look at imperial allen keys (assuming this is metric) as you can usually find one that is a tiny bit larger than the metric allen key and will get a better grip in a worn metric socket.

The other thing, but not sure you can get to it here is to cut a slot with a dremel and use a screwdriver.

Use some penetrating oil (like WD40) before trying, leave it sometime to do its work. Also if the environment allows (and I don’t think yours does) is apply some heat to the bolt before trying.

Make sure you have a new bolt available because you do not want to put this one back on.

Cheers,

Nigel

Soak both sides with penetrating oil first.

Centre punch to the front face lip should do the trick.

I have taken many a bolt out this way on old mowers.

Tried torx and hammer head screw drivers with no luck even after trying to hammer them down

Try drilling it out then , you should be able to remove the head of the bolt and get a pair of mole grips on what’s left , you could try eezeouts , but if you snap one of them your fudgeed .....

Maybe try an Allen key or other tight fitting bit in an impact screwdriver? You could lean into it and hopefully get a little traction.

Given than the bolt needs replacing & an allen key is cheap, try glueing. Once set, use pliers or mole grips with a sharp snap to break the tension as previously suggested.

Given than the bolt needs replacing & an allen key is cheap, try glueing. Once set, use pliers or mole grips with a sharp snap to break the tension as previously suggested.

glueing with what ?

Superglue perhaps , would that work ?
Put the glue in, wait for it to set and then try ?

Another thought, place the allen key in the bolt & then tap a jewellers screwdriver alongside a flat edge of the allen key. That should help wedge the allen key into what's left of the bolt head.

Couple of other options:

1) wrap electrical tape round the allen key to make it bigger and might provide enough friction.

2) hacksaw to the head, saw screw head halfway down, then use flat head screwdriver to remove.

also i back the options when loosing the screw to try tightening it first and also using a blunt force trauma option to loosen the screw.

I still think the only way out of this is to drill the head off and then deal with the aftermath , at least if the plastic is out of the way you can use heat to help remove it , and when you get it out invest in some anti seize compound 👍

Not sure you saw my suggestion. I recently churned up a hex bolt - smaller than those - it was an M4.

How I got it out was to us an imperial 3/16" allen key which is about 4.76mm. I found this sat in the churned up 4mm hex well enough to undo the bolt.

Other than that I think you are going to end up finding someone who can spot weld an allen key or a bolt in place.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not sure you saw my suggestion. I recently churned up a hex bolt - smaller than those - it was an M4.

How I got it out was to us an imperial 3/16" allen key which is about 4.76mm. I found this sat in the churned up 4mm hex well enough to undo the bolt.

Cheers,

Nigel

I very much suspect this is rotted in , maybe some some galvanic corrosion , I hope we hear the answer because I’m still going down the drill it out route 🤣🤣🤣

Drill it out and re-tap to clean the thread. that's what I'd do at work if you can't get anything to turn it.

Alternatively.........

c632d3495a4b89533539f78a3718e83c.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom