1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stretching my blackout material on my wood tomorrow - advice ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    After playing with my hardboard which I painted icestorm6 which did improve blacks, albeit even though only icestorm 6 it did take a bit of the edge of the pic I felt.

(plus I'm going to fit my hoya filter will will cut back the image a tad more)

I've decided to use my white blackout cloth I bought some weeks back.

I was going to make a frame, but came to the conclusion I was mad as I'd having a fixed permanent screen on the wall, so why make a frame ? I'll use the wall !

So bought some masonary nails today and 40 nails later! I have a outline of wood (approx 1/2" thick x 1 1/2" wide nailed to the wall solid as a rock.

I'm going to staple the cloth to the front of the wood, then use 38mm conduit (painted matt black) as a frame, also using conduit 90' corner pieces... trust me, it will work :)

Anyhow, I'm sure I'm going to *uck up this material and have creases all over the place.

I've read the canvas mouning link and have the jist of the idea.

Basically pull tight at the middle from right to left to put a horizontal crease all the way across the screen.

Then in the middle (up/down) pull that tight to put a vertical crease

Then I'm guessing you work out from the middle to the corners pulling up/out and away from the centre creases (outwards and towards the corners) a bit at a time all he way round till to finish the job.

1: Does this work every time, or is there some magic trick, or pitfalls to avoid ?

2: How tight do you pull ?
    There are bound to be some creases in the new fabric. (esp as rubber backed)

Do i pull tight enough to get the creases out (quite tight) or is just a bit of tension ok, as after a while the creases will pull out ?

Any magic tips ?
    I was wondering if a hot hairdryer would help creases ease out ?

Just any advice so I get it right 1st time.
    Remember my frame is nailed to the wall.

Oh yes, it's 7ft x 4ft in size.

Cheers

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Well, I checked my plee for advice last night (above) and no takers, so this morning just went for it.

I unrolled my white blackout material (lovely and flat and crease free (I had to take 1st lot back and was given this still on the roll)

Anyhow, layed it onto my wooden batterns on the wall, drawing pin at the top, unrolled it another drawling pin top middle then off to the right (end of reel) and a final drawing pin.

Looks pretty crease free just like that !

Remembereing the canvas stretching idea, then on the the left hand side pulled lightly, then to the left and pulled quite firm (there is some stretch in the material) and stuck a couple of staples in.
    Then top middle pulled up a bit and popped a staple in, then bottom middle, pulled tight and another staple.

Then worked out bit by bit all the way round, working from these middle staples to the corners.

Using a borrowed staple gun which JUST about was man enough to push staples into my pine surround, but still tapped them home with a small hammer whilst pulling fabric tight again.

After this was done I filled in between the staples with more staples (all around) then due to paranoia went and filled these gaps in with even more staples.........

Used around 400 staples in the end :)

Finally trimmed the excess cloth away with my stanley knife and all needs now is my matt black painted conduit to frame it perfectly.

I have taken photo's so will post them in the near future.

I'm so very pleased with the result.
    I was very nervous and really was expecting trouble with creases, but I'd have to say.

This screen is flatter than a very flat thing that's been run over by the world's biggest flattening machine fresh from the flattening world championships, with a top coating of super strong flattening liquid applied with a flattening brush, from flattening products uk ltd.

So it's pretty flat :)

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'll be honest, I read your post, but since you had written that you were going to do everything right I didn't reply.

Good to see it's all worked well.

Are you thinking of adding a black border to the screen?

Makes a huge perceived difference to the image.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    ReTro.....

Yes, well at the moment, the screen is about 1" larger all the way round than the 7ft image.
    Onto this 1" surround I am going to fix 38mmx16mm trunking which will be painted matt black (the whole suppounding wall is matt black already) the beauty is, trunking is super smooth, light weight and has moulded corner pieces making it look very professional and cheap

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest...

:rotfl:

I'd recommend you wrap the trunking with black cotton-based velvet - it will actually look professional, prob won't be cheap necessarily, but will give far better results if using a slight overscan - additional advantage is that you'll have enough material so you can also cover two masking panels for the top and bottom "grey bars" you get when playing 2.35:1 aspect ratio material on a 16:9 screen. Makes the complete world of difference....

Sean G.

6. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I missed the "deadline" on this thread (don't usually scan this forum) but I just wanted to share my experience as they were similar.

I built my own frame and was going to follow the canvas stretching route using blackout material and a staple gun and I too was really nervous about f###ing it up...

... so I decided to use velcro instead. I cut the blackout material roughly to size and then stuck velcro to the edges of the material and to the back of the frame. Left it to fix overnight and then next night brought the blackout material velcro into contact with the velcro on the frame. It allows you to under/over stretch the material if you get it wrong first time - or have creases - and it also means that if I want to I can easily take the screen off and replace it. And you have the width of the velcro strips to give you latitude for mis-fitting - maybe 2-3cms tolerance in all - and you don't have to fix the material in any particular order (like in the canvas stretching approach).

I have to say I'm happy with the results and would recommend this approach over stapling to anyone thinking of making their own screen.

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Yes, I did realise that professional and cheap were used a bit in the wrong context there.

I meant to say it looks professional
    And was cheap.

I could have gone with the velvet, but I guess I had horror stories in my mind about glue and corners etc etc. The matt black I'm using is so matt that really you can't even see the dam frame. The room is quite dark anyway. It's quite weird actually, as the whole wall just soaks up light.

I do need blanking panels but have a few other pressing issues at the moment. Like getting my new PC for HTPC working ok, and dual screen, dvd playback etc

8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Sounds a good idea, though I'm supprised it's all holding together.
    There's a fait amount of tension in all of that. But I'm very pleased it's ok for you.

Have you decided to keep the blackout material it's standard (just off white) colour, or are you going to paint it ?

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Sorry I missed this post too, but I'm glad it all went to plan - I made my screen too, and the BO cloth is excellent value IMHO. I've since repleced it with some 1.2 gain material, but that just proves what good value the BO cloth is.

If I didn't need the extra gain, I'd have not bothered to be honest.

Looking forward to the pictures - I saw this screen over at Ivojo:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/d2u-fixed-frame.htm

And thought that the felt suround frame was just the ticket - unfortunately it's not available seperatly. The screens look great though, and pretty good prices I think.

The shape reminds me of some trunking I've seen too - so I might try the felt idea - what glue do you guys think will work? I may have to use wood and staple it round the back if the glue doesn't seem like a good idea...

Gary.

10. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tension isn't an issue. I don't know how tightly you've stretched the material when stapling but mine is just "pleasantly" taut (lol). It doesn't need to be like a drum or anything, just stretched enough to not have kinks in.

As for painting, I wrestled with this before I put the screen up. Basically painted the bare wall with IceStorm, etc to see what I thought and I didn't like it - the grey pallor bothered me and I much prefer the clarity of the blackout material as it is and so I'm going to leave it.