1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stretched Screen

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by sjp1966, Jun 9, 2004.

1. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hope someone can help me. the answers may seem obvious but there is a reason why i am asking the question

If i am watching a DVD which is a 16:9 anamorphic widescreen, should the TV (i have a widescreen TV) be set to 16:9 to watch it.

also what mode should be TV be in to watch a movie which is 2.35:1

the reason i ask this is because when i have my TV on 16:9 to watch a movie that states it is 16:9 the screen seems stretched vertically, i am not sure what im doing wrong

please help :lease:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,362
    If the DVD states 16:9 it can either fill the screen totally or if a 2.35:1 will have black bars top and bottom. And would think the set would be in 16:9 mode (some TV call it widescreen). Best to see the correct aspect ratio of the TV is to put a Universal film on and see if the World is round.
    Generally DVD’s connected to the TV via the scart selects the correct screen format.

I think there is a thread on it some where I will see if I can find it and post a link.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,362
    See if this is of any help here.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes - it should automatically switch to 16:9

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    By the sounds of it you want your tv set to the widescreen mode. I know that on my philips 28" tv the 16:9 mode is really a "zoom" mode, i.e it blows the picture up to fill the screen and cuts off the top and bottom, in this mode a dvd picture in anamporhic will look stretched out with the top and bottom missing.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The problem here, is that all hardware manufacturers use different terms. And DVD makers use different terms, different techniques, and can often mislead in the packaging.

Rule 1: If it looks right, it is right. By which I mean, people are people-shaped; circles are round etc., and you aren't missing anything useful (eg off the top or bottom of the picture).

Rule 2: You may get black bars depending on how wide the film was, either top & bottom, or at the sides. You shouldn't have them on all four edges.

Rule 3: Don't expect to rely wholly on auto-switching; TV manufacturers don't always handle this as well as they should. Sometimes it works OK for PAL but not NTSC. Or vice versa. Only after establishing (with reference to rule 1 & 2) that it is reliable (for both video types) should you rely on it.