Stretched images when connecting a PC?

W

Woabow

Hi all,

New to this forum, I already have spent hours reading... :thumbsup:

But please allow me to ask a question (have asked a similar question in the Plasma Forum): I would like to buy a 42" screen (LCD or Plasma) but I will connect a computer and use this as the main source for the panel. I've tested to connect my notebook in a store on a plasma PV60 with a normal HD resolution of 1024x768. When using this resolution the Windows desktop looks very good and sharp, of course. But when watching pictures it looks strange, the image is stretched because of the rectangular pixels.

Is this a reason to go for a LCD instead of plasma? I think I prefer plasma but I also want a to watch pictures from my digital cam without deforming.

I have a Tosh 37WLT38 which has a res of 1368x768, I have connected a Media PC set to 1360x768 and do not get any stretched pictures, everything is perfect. The resolution you where trying is 4:3 and therefore everything would look stretched on a 16:9 screen.
I went for LCD as I also use the PC a lot and did not want to suffer screen burn which I believe plasmas suffer from.

The screen burn in problem is with modern plasma's comparable with a CRT tv. For me no reason to stay away from plasma.

The stretching problem is a typically plasma thing, those screens do have 4:3 resolution and put it on a 16:9 panel, so with rectangular pixels.

If I find a way to avoid that I would like to have a plasma but maybe I should listen to everybody who says LCD is the way to go with a HTPC.

This may work but I have not tried it myself as my resolution matches a correct 16:9 ratio.......

Fire up Windows Media Player and go into..

Tools;
Options;
Devices;
Display;
Properties.

Here you will see what should be a circle displayed. Simply play with the settings until your elipse turns into a circle. AIUI this should sort you out for media such as movies and photos but I doubt it will affect the desktop itself.

Problems such as yours are one reason I've stayed clear of any device that has strange shaped pixels. If you want a 16:9 image then get a 16:9 resolution! It avoids all the aggro.

Anyway, good luck and I hope the above works.

p.s. Maybe your graphics drivers have some way to set up an adjustment to cope with your situation. Have you checked the latest drivers to see what they offer? If there is a solution there then it should fix things for the desktop and everything else that might be displayed.

Avoiding non-rectangular pixels will make live easier I guess. I know I can play with my desktop settings and even use Powerstrip to tweak any possible setting. But if I end up with a decent picture....

If I was convincend that I'll be satisfied with the PQ on a LCD I would have decided yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom