Stressed with connecting PC to Denon AV1906

J

jonnykerm

I am trying to do something that I thought was quite simple. Connect my nVidia graphics card to my Denon receiver via a cable that has red, green and blue plugs (unsure of name :suicide: )

I have the audio going from my pc to Denon via an optical cable which works fine, i just cant get the tv to show my computers desktop through the Denon.

My ultimate aim is to play PC games on my TV (which is plugged into 'monitor' on the Denon) with sound out of my hifi speakers.

hope you guys can help.

sounds like a component cable output......how is it connected to the graphics card end? is it a VGA or DVI output using an adaptor? or a small round output with perhaps 5 or so pins going to an adaptor?

also what res are you trying to output? the denon might not like it if the res is too high, not sure what signals the 1906 can passthrough...i think my 3803 is limited to 576p, so most computer resolutions wont pass through it.....

also could be that the Denon is stopping the computer recognising a display, i think sometimes this is an issue that can be addressed by drivers for the graphics card....altho i think its more to do with DVI/HDMI...i could be wrong tho....

not sure where you'll get the best answer to this question either...lol...i'd say either the dedicated Denon forum might help more or the PC forum......see what response you get here for a day or two, if nothing, send me a PM with a link to this thread and i'll move it for you to another section and try there ;)

Do you get a picture if you connect the PC directly to the TV?

I have a dongle that came with the graphics card, on one end there is an s-video looking plug (into graphics card), must be the small round one you mentioned, and this converts to component plugs which goes into the Denon.

I have not tried direct into the TV as the tv only has scart (until i get my new LCD screen for xmas :thumbsup: )

the denon component bandwidth is 100MHz so should sufficient for computer resolutions. Definitely 1st thing to check is whether the PC is outputting a resolution the TV supports & that a direct PC - TV connection works. If that doesn't work then passthrough isn't going to.

FWIW I connect my nvidia card directly to my TV with DVI-HDMI and just pass sound through the denon over an optical cable.

yep I do use a cable like that one

I think I actually bought one of these though it was definitely cheaper then they have it now.

You may find things get trickier if you use HDMI though as TVs can be rather fussier about what sort of resolution they'll agree to over HDMI. It depends on your TV really.

Great ill do that then, component cable can go on eBay.

Dont know why I didnt look at Farnell, my bro works there and I get discount :thumbsup:

thanks for all your help!

one last thing, will using dvi from my graphics card to hdmi on the tv give as good quality as component cable would? i assume it will give hd quality as the graphics card can output hd resolutions?

at the same resolution it should be slightly better as there is no digital-analogue conversion involved. It depends on the resolutions you can get oveer HDMI & component on your TV though, for example you may get native over component but not hdmi hence component is going to look better.

blimey you guys know your stuff, glad i signed up to this forum. Im gunna order one of those cables from Farnell and do audio through optical, watch this space hehe!

Right ive managed to get it working with component connected direct to my tv from nVidia graphics card, but the pc desktop either seems to over fill the tv screen, or mirror the computer monitor (too small for the tv) ive tried all sorts of resolutions, the tv manual says the tv is 1366x760 and even that wont work if i put that into the nvidia control panel.

It doesnt seem to let me use different resolutions for my monitor and the tv, although it looks like the software should allow this.

the nvidia control panel allows you to setup a custom resolution to fix overscanning (desktop overfills the screen). For example under windows my card fits the screen at 1216*684 which is approx 5% overscan. I can't remember exactly where the option is but it lets you drag slider bars to scale the desktop to your screen. I think it is accessible from the bit where you tell it what TV resolution to use (720p, 1080i etc).

This will not give you a 1:1 pixel mapped image which may be possible but will trial & error (and perhaps powerstrip) or searching online for your TV model and something like "custom resolution".

Cheers
Matt

I think ive sussed it, when i rebooted i got a new option for 'dual view', which seems to work, now i just need to get my pc games to open up on the tv desktop and not the pc monitor, oh its all fun and games :rotfl:

Component connections on TVs automatically introduce overscan.
Are you not able to connect your PC to your TV via VGA, DVI or DVI-HDMI?
This would allow you to get the full image to the screen using simple pre-defined resolutions such as 1366x768.

I emailed the graphics card manufacturer and the support guy said that component with the supplied HD dongle was the best way to connect it. It seems to work fine now, I downloaded some Sky HD demos from Sky's website and they played full screen and looked fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom