Street Photography - Guildford's Most Wanted

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Brilliant set Dan, 1st two are great as are 7,8,9 & 10 :smashin:

1st two could go in the John Cleese funny walk album ;)

shotokan101

Banned
nice set - 4,7 and 10 are the standouts :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Just had a look at the rest in Flickr, some more great shots on there. Really like the car park security one, and one man and his dog. Shame it's got someone's legs in the background but that's the joys of street photography.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Just had a look at the rest in Flickr, some more great shots on there. Really like the car park security one, and one man and his dog. Shame it's got someone's legs in the background but that's the joys of street photography.

The traffic warden? was giving that guy a ticket :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Dan I can't remember if I've asked this before, but how do you focus when you're doing street using the shallow DOF? When I take people I tend to use spot and focus on the eye, but for street this is obviously pretty difficult a lot of the time. Do you still use spot, or do you use matrix/wide and if spot what do you try to focus on? Also, do you use continuous AF (or whatever it's called on Canon) so that the focus changes with the movement?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Dan I can't remember if I've asked this before, but how do you focus when you're doing street using the shallow DOF? When I take people I tend to use spot and focus on the eye, but for street this is obviously pretty difficult a lot of the time. Do you still use spot, or do you use matrix/wide and if spot what do you try to focus on? Also, do you use continuous AF (or whatever it's called on Canon) so that the focus changes with the movement?

I'm using the cross focus pattern

I set it up like this
Canon EOS 5D Mark III AF and Custom Function Settings

I use AI Servo, with focus on the AF-on button - and so if I want to to stop focusing for stationary subjects i can left go and recompose and press the shutter

snerkler

Distinguished Member
I'm using the cross focus pattern

I set it up like this
Canon EOS 5D Mark III AF and Custom Function Settings

I use AI Servo, with focus on the AF-on button - and so if I want to to stop focusing for stationary subjects i can left go and recompose and press the shutter
Christ, that thing has some settings doesn't it :eek: I guess it's things like this that separate the enthusiast from the pro cameras?

shotokan101

Banned
Christ, that thing has some settings doesn't it :eek: I guess it's things like this that separate the enthusiast from the pro cameras?

No - it's things like that which separate the enthusiast from more than a months wages.....

car-man

One thing I've noticed myself doing after following these excellent photo postings in this thread is to look down a main street for interesting shots and interesting people to photograph.
I was in Preston City centre this morning going to the camera shop for my repaired lens and couldn't stop looking :)

shotokan101

Banned
Yeah - when I got into digital and started carrying a compact everywhere I noticed it was really easy for a half-hour lunch break to start taking well over an hour....

snerkler

Distinguished Member
One thing I've noticed myself doing after following these excellent photo postings in this thread is to look down a main street for interesting shots and interesting people to photograph.
I was in Preston City centre this morning going to the camera shop for my repaired lens and couldn't stop looking :)
I do this everywhere, for all sorts of shots. I look at colours and shadows etc differently now too :)

shotokan101

Banned
...should try shooting some of it once in a while.... :devil: :D (note to self ;))

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I saw some 'mental click' scenes - like an overly chubby child with his chubby mum - both eating as they walk down the street. The child in particular was like something from a childrens book - the boy who grew and grew...

Also some guy doing his hair in the reflection of a window - unfortunately it didn't last long enough for me to take the photo - but it scenes like this that I just appreciate.

It makes me happy to see a father with their child on their shoulders - but this is something I avoid taking photographs of.

shotokan101

Banned
Yeah - "Mental Clicks" I have no problem with out on the street..... :(

rockchick762k

All really great :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022